Mount Misery

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
I've heard many stories about Mt. Misery.... the place is supposedly haunted, and owned my an old CCC Camp.. or Methodist Retreat Camp? According to kauffeld's book anyway. Is this place really creepy? I've heard it had a creepy atmosphere, with a lot of weird stuff inside.

How about meth labs back there? Wild dogs? Crazy people?

Jan 3, 2007
Cherry Hill
ive heard things like this before but just about the pines in general. where did the whole thing about wild dogs come from? are they like coyotes? wolves? or did lassie and rin tint get loose and reproduce in the pines? or is there not any real wild dogs? and meth labs... eh i could see it being possible bc there is so much open territory but i doubt its signifigant. and im sure that "crazies" is a derogatory steriotype for the remaining pineys.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I have never heard of wild dogs in the pines. There have been reports of coyotes in the area, though.

Meth labs? Again, sounds like something that bored teenagers or the Weird NJ crowd would make up.

"Crazies?" Well, after meeting my fair share of 'pineys' I have to say that the people who live in places like Brick, Toms River, all of Monmouth County, etc. are far "crazier" than the honest folk in the Pine Barrens. Pineys are some of the friendliest, down to earth, good people to know.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Those "urban legends" are ridiculous, I've never seen anything like that. But I think it's great that they exist - should help discourage too much tourism :)

That being said, I'm sure many of us have seen things and met people in the pines occasionally which made us uneasy - somewhere there's a thread about that here. But such things are few and far between, and if you just practice everyday common sense about safety you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
I visited Mount Misery today... and all was well...stupid WEIRD NJ!

There are the Methodist Retreat Camp back there.. i had no problems. Drove all the way down to Rt. 539 where Greenwood WMA begins. The only unusual things I saw were a few old looking/trashy homes that were still occupied. And some house that said "breakfest pancakes - Dec 3. 7-10AM" ..odd... but all in all it was a very fun trip and the area is nice.

Just some misunderstood people back there

Buck

Scout
Jan 23, 2007
Whiting
I think you are talking about where Mt. Misery Road meets Pasadena/Savoy, right? That sign about pancakes is on a gun/hunting club building. There are also a few houses and a tree farm or two.
Traffic is rare enough that people stop and stare when you drive by.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
back in the early to late 60's there was a pack of wild dogs running in the area of lebanon lakes/reves boggs they trapped several of us in t duck blind on the opposite side of the lake there

also further east on rt 70 in the early 70's in manchester twp a small child was killed by a pack of dogs

when i lived on applejack rd in chatworth in 69/70 i would have to routinly chase a pack of dogs away from over turning my trash cans, i was told they were wild and just roamed the the area, sometimes they would try to turn on me untill i fired a shotgun in the air, that kept them away for a week or so

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As I mentioned before they lived at Pioneer Smelting and would chase us in my Land Cruiser. My 73 had the back window that would open up and lay on the rear tire. Once in a while I would have people in the back who were new to the pines, and I would slow down and let the dogs get right to the back of the car causing a panic in the back seats since half of the back of the vehicle was open. There would be about 10 of them.

Guy

As I mentioned before they lived at Pioneer Smelting and would chase us in my Land Cruiser. My 73 had the back window that would open up and lay on the rear tire. Once in a while I would have people in the back who were new to the pines, and I would slow down and let the dogs get right to the back of the car causing a panic in the back seats since half of the back of the vehicle was open. There would be about 10 of them.

Guy

Guy:

I had no idea your soul entertained such devilment! You never cease to amaze me!!

Doggone!

:) :) :)

Best regards,
Jerseyman

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
Recently my girlfriend and I took a night ride through there on our dualsport bikes. We got on Mt Misery on the PL side, dirt road, it was right after the big storm a few months back. Mt.Misery was closed off because of flooding. We went around with no problem. We rode to Pasadena then to 72. No creepiness at all. Every so often we go for night rides in the pines. We even hit the tight trails deep in the woods. You gotta have good lights to do that!

Monoxide16

Aug 23, 2007
I've been to mt misery road a couple times at night with my friends in the past few weeks. First we took the road by the camp down to the end and turned around. We drove back to the camp and tried to park so we could look at that archway thing in the woods but some guy came out and told us we couldn't do that. So we left and took the road on the other side of rt. 70. That was a pretty creepy road.

Another night we went to mt misery with some other friends to drive up and down it and then we parked on a dirt patch thing on the side of rt.70 and mt misery. The same guy and another guy came up in a truck and said we couldnt be there. So we just left. It's ridiculous how you can own a road. All I wanted to do was explore a little without causing any damage and see if anything was weird or scary.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
The same guy and another guy came up in a truck and said we couldnt be there.

That's Ted, he keeps people away so that they don't discover the fact that the military is injecting zombies with a mixture of Jersey Devil blood, methamphetamine, and Red Bull in order to create super soldiers. I think it's Billy Baldwin (or maybe it's Stephen?) that's in charge of the whole thing.

All I wanted to do was explore a little without causing any damage and see if anything was weird or scary.

If you're on Mt. Misery in the middle of the night looking for something "weird" or "scary" you look like the type that's going to cause damage and destruction, leaving a path of beer cans, cigarette butts, and dirty magazines in your wake.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Another night we went to mt misery with some other friends to drive up and down it and then we parked on a dirt patch thing on the side of rt.70 and mt misery. The same guy and another guy came up in a truck and said we couldnt be there. So we just left. It's ridiculous how you can own a road. All I wanted to do was explore a little without causing any damage and see if anything was weird or scary.

Thing is, people still live around there, and I'm sure they aren't all that happy with Wierd NJ-inspired freakologists driving up and down the road there at night. I agree, they don't own the road, but common courtesy would suggest staying away at night. It's fine to drive through, but you mentioned wanting to drive up and down, and then you parked in the area. Look at it from their perspective. I'd probably come over and check you out, too.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I live very near mt misery road and people keep stealing the street sign. I once drove past and saw a bunch of goth looking kids posing for a group picture next to it. Harmless enough for the most part but eventually this sort of publicity always leads to vandalism.

Jeff