Jemima Mount

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
So in the past year or so I've been checking out a lot of hills and "mountains" in the pines using an atlas and gazetteer. I've been meaning to check out Jemima Mount for a while and had the opportunity on Sunday. Wow, what a neat place. As with most hills and rises in the pines usually things are gradual at first and then there is a final "steep" accent to the top. Apple Pie Hill is a great example of this. But to my surprise Jemima just pokes itself right out of the earth and almost resembles a small Mayan temple. It only has an elevation at about 101 feet above sea level, but seeing it just jut almost straight up from the ground was really neat looking. It really only looked like about 45+/- feet above the level of the ground though. Jemima is about, from what it looked like, a 3 hill chain that winds it's way into the west / north west direction. It has been ridden heavily by 4X4's and is fairly washed out in some places. There was also a circular 2' concrete base of some sort at the top that could have been who knows what. I took a motorcycle there (from Mount) , but driving there with a truck looked to be a bit of a challenge with all the rain we've had. The hill seemed to be mostly heavy gravel that was from gray to orange, so I'm guessing this is the remains of a glacial erratic. I'll be posting some pics shortly.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Kevin,

Jenima Mount has been used as a geodetic control station, and I suspect that at one time that concrete was a bench-mark. I believe I searched and found a mention of one but I can't find it now. Here is a list of them from 1888.

jemima.jpg

Guy

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Mtns

Thanks for the hill info Guy. I've actually mapped out every hill and "mountain" from Cape May to a little above Trenton. After reading about them in Becks book I got hooked and tried to find a lot of them. But I'm sure I'll still go over that list and check some of them. Some I'm sure aren't listed anymore, like the one James wrote, (thanks by the way for that one) Devious Mtn. isn't listed but looks like a pretty good sized hill. I'm sure really checking that topo map would reveal a lot of others. And what Guy said would explain the concrete foundation. It's kind of weird where some of the hills and mountains exist in South Jersey, with Potato Island being listed in Cape May at a whopping elevation of 11ft. There's Muskee Hill at 67ft., Pine Mount at 153ft., Big Mannington and Coffin Hill at 121 & 122 ft. and the list gets much bigger the further north the map gets. Pretty neat that some of them are so close to the Delaware River and yet rise to "high." (I'll use that term loosely. lol) I'll try and check out that Devious Mtn. Sometime soon as that one looks not only remote, but fun to explore. Thanks again.

Kevin

Oct 25, 2006
Kevin

Google the National Geodetic Survey, when there click on datasheets, then it will then give you a Quad list, i haven't been on that site in a while but Devious should be the Atsion Quad, Devious will then be on the list after you click submit. Guy can correct me if i mistated on the procedure.

Jim

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Try Blueberry Hill off US Ave. in Gibbsboro where I grew up.
It is a pine/oak woodland and has a clear view of the Philadelphia skyline at the top.
The Borough's trail system leads to the top.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Kevin,

Jenima Mount has been used as a geodetic control station, and I suspect that at one time that concrete was a bench-mark. I believe I searched and found a mention of one but I can't find it now. Here is a list of them from 1888.

jemima.jpg

Guy

Guy, where can I find the rest of the list? I,m at 150 feet here in Tabernacle and I have seen a marker a few properties over.

Ed

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
kevinhooa said:
The hill seemed to be mostly heavy gravel that was from gray to orange, so I'm guessing this is the remains of a glacial erratic

Kevin, an erratic is a rock that was carried by a glacier and left behind when the ice melted and the glacier retreated. Glaciers never did make it into South Jersey. My understanding is that our SJ hills are scattered remnants of sandy/gravelly river bottoms that have largely eroded away. The ages of these various hilly deposits is not clear, but they seem to pre-date the Pleistocene ice ages when much sand was probably removed by strong winds that left behind the more resistant stuff that became our "mounts". Perhaps the SpungMan can shed some light on this.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My understanding is that our SJ hills....

Your UNDERSTANDING? C'mon my boy, where is your confidence that you have checked all the right boxes and kissed the right teachers in your quest for geological knowledge? Would you like to go off to see the wizard and have him bean you with a hunk of Jersey Sandstone to pound some sense into you?

:clint:

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
bobbypbx said:
Your UNDERSTANDING? C'mon my boy, where is your confidence that you have checked all the right boxes and kissed the right teachers in your quest for geological knowledge?

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” - Bertrand Russell

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, where can I find the rest of the list? I,m at 150 feet here in Tabernacle and I have seen a marker a few properties over.

Ed

The marker next to your neighbors is a much more modern one having been placed there in the 1930's. These are much older. You can find the info on all of them including your neighbors at geocaching.com under Benchmarks. They are not up to date though.

Guy

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
If you drive down Whitesbog Rd. from the Hanover Furnace area to Whitebog you will go over a hill that is about 8 feet in elevation. Many years ago I was told that it is called Willy's Hill because one of the workers from Whitesbog named Willy was robbed and killed there. I don't think you get a bumper sticker for climbing it like Pike's Peak.

If you drive down Whitesbog Rd. from the Hanover Furnace area to Whitebog you will go over a hill that is about 8 feet in elevation. Many years ago I was told that it is called Willy's Hill because one of the workers from Whitesbog named Willy was robbed and killed there. I don't think you get a bumper sticker for climbing it like Pike's Peak.

Maybe we should get one made just for knowing the story! (Think we could get a Federal grant in the "History" or "Demographic diversity" catagories?):v:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

I stopped at an old settlement there about 4 years ago Tom. Is this the hill that is about 1/4 mile from the Western entrance to the village?

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Kevin, an erratic is a rock that was carried by a glacier and left behind when the ice melted and the glacier retreated. Glaciers never did make it into South Jersey. My understanding is that our SJ hills are scattered remnants of sandy/gravelly river bottoms that have largely eroded away. The ages of these various hilly deposits is not clear, but they seem to pre-date the Pleistocene ice ages when much sand was probably removed by strong winds that left behind the more resistant stuff that became our "mounts". Perhaps the SpungMan can shed some light on this.

Yeah, I know. Doh! I realized that after I looked it up to double check and by the time I looked it up I couldn't edit my post. All well. Thanks for the update PLP.