It's picking time: Berry, berry good

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I was just noticing that there are a lot of berries in my woods this year. Usually I see very few…. but maybe the birds just haven't gotten them yet? :) The cold winter and spring has actually been very good for the woods, for the last several years everything bloomed much too early only to be killed by a hard frost in late April. This year everything bloomed much later, after the frost danger was gone.

berry1.jpg

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
Just be careful eating all the wild blueberries or ones that are not cared for in the pines! They may have some extra PROTEIN in them. Meaning maggot larvae and etc. :eek:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just be careful eating all the wild blueberries or ones that are not cared for in the pines! They may have some extra PROTEIN in them. Meaning maggot larvae and etc. :eek:

Rather have a maggot larvae or 2 instead of pesticide and fertilizer residue ;) Best wild berries I've had were up in Pembroke Maine waiting for the falls to reverse :D

101062433.jpg

Reactions: dogg57

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Are they edible?

Absolutely, make great preserves as well. There is a Beach Plum Festival in September at Island Beach SP. Kind of early for ripe ones, usually late August, early Sept. This is what they look like in the spring;

28690960.jpg

Reactions: joc