Feds open 344,000 acres of sea floor for wind power

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Wind energy advocates cheered the news Thursday that some 344,000 acres of sea floor off Long Beach Island and the southern Jersey Shore will be opened to wind power development, while skeptics worried about the impact on migratory birds, as well as whether the turbines would be visible from the beach.
The U.S. Department of Interior will offer leases to companies that want to build wind turbines along blocks of ocean floor starting about seven miles off Long Beach Island, Atlantic City and Cape May County.
An analysis by the U.S. Department of Energy has forecast that if that area is developed to maximum potential, turbine fields would generate up to 3,400 megawatts, enough to power 1.2 million homes, said Rep. Rush Holt, D-N.J., a renewable-energy booster and ranking member of the House Subcommittee on Energy and Minerals.
http://www.app.com/story/news/local/ocean-county/2014/07/17/offshore-wind-approved/12818239/

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
at seven miles an SUV would be visible on a clear day.I"m sure these monsters will be visible much further then that.They have them along Canaan Mountain in WV and depending on what ridge your on they can be seen easily from thirty miles away.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Have they built the one up in Massachusetts yet? I haven't seen any really big marine fields, but driving out I-70 through Kansas a year ago it was just about all I could see for miles and miles. Most of them weren't turning, either.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Have they built the one up in Massachusetts yet? I haven't seen any really big marine fields, but driving out I-70 through Kansas a year ago it was just about all I could see for miles and miles. Most of them weren't turning, either.

I'm pretty sure the Cape Wind project is in the works. The last law suit against it was dismissed this year. MA has several already in use in the NW part of the state.

The 4 windmills in Atlantic City can easily be seen from Forsythe NWR 5 miles away and they are not as large as the ones put up offshore. Personally I have no problem with it. With the doubts about the generating station at Somers Pt and Oyster Creek being decommissioned in a few years, the capacity has to be replaced somewhere. Besides, they will create some great fishing opportunities :D