Aerial Video of Forked River Mountain Area

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
It is amazing how steady the image is. Do you have a monitor to see what the camera see's?

Hi 46er- Yes I have a special 3-Axis Gimbal that keeps the Camera stabilized. Otherwise, it would be very herky-jerky. I also have my iPhone mounted to the controls where I can see what the camera sees in a First Person View.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It is very cool. But where one drone flies today, many will follow tomorrow. I would hate to see the day when I can't wander around the woods without drones circling overhead.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Mike, what type of camera does it have and what is the video format? It is a very good quality video and YouTube handled it well. The stabilization is excellent.

noboat

Explorer
Feb 1, 2010
Waterford Works
It is very cool. But where one drone flies today, many will follow tomorrow. I would hate to see the day when I can't wander around the woods without drones circling overhead.
SlingShot_L1.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If there's any other aerial video of the pines you would like to see let me know as I'm always looking for new spots to explore.

Mike, if you can get the OK from the Supvr, a flight in and around the Harrisville ruins would be nice. It would make a nice addition for Wharton to use in their auditorium. Another, with permission, would be during the cranberry harvest along rt 563.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Mike, if you can get the OK from the Supvr, a flight in and around the Harrisville ruins would be nice. It would make a nice addition for Wharton to use in their auditorium. Another, with permission, would be during the cranberry harvest along rt 563.
Great locations- I'll try to find out who to contact in order to make that happen.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
There's no aerial interest in tree top footage so I think you're safe. However I can see that this may become an issue in the future at popular locations.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
The c
Mike, what type of camera does it have and what is the video format? It is a very good quality video and YouTube handled it well. The stabilization is excellent.
The video is HD up to 1060i/p
Stills are 14 Mega pixel
All raw videos are mp4 but there is another "raw" format but it eats up SD cards real fast

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Is this a Parrot AR drone? I think I want to get the next version that they're going to be releasing soon. It corrects for the perspective distortion of the camera.
Ben this is from DJI - the distortion is from any fisheye type lens and could be corrected with software. It's just a pain in the butt

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Yes - for sure. I'm just saying, the new Parrot drone is supposed to do it automatically.

There are a few significant differences between the DJI and the Parrot with the largest being the visual stability of the video. Without a 3 axis gimbal, the video becomes extremely susceptible to any movement from wind, user controls, etc. The fisheye issue disappears if you are recording in a parallel camera position (horizontal to the horizon). Stills are easy to correct with one of many free fisheye adjustment tools. Video can be more difficult. I don't think the Parrot will need much to correct since it has a fixed camera always pointing at the horizon. I almost bought a Parrot- it would be very good in certain situations, just not for what I wanted it for

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
From what I have read the new Parrot drone will be more like the DJI. The old one (the AR Drone) is much more basic.

I *almost* bought a DJI the other day. I just don't want to deal with credit card guilt.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I see my skinny dippin days in tulpehocken are over for good:-(

I know you're joking, but imagine if the state decides to invest heavily (and they might, considering how few parks personnel cover so much ground these days) in this technology. Hiking out to an isolated spot in the middle of Wharton, the Water Gap, etc...and setting up an "outlaw" campsite where you can quietly get away from everything and leave the next morning without a trace will be a thing of the past.