Bear

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
Hey everyone,
I am going camping this weekend at Belleplain State Forest near Woodbine, NJ. I just wanted to know if there has been black bear sightings there in the past? If there wasn't it would probually still be a smart idea to keep my food stored away =) Last time the coons got at everything . But anyways when i come back hopefully i'll have some awesome pictures of the pines to show youl all !

¿ ¿ ¿ Black Bear in Belleplain ? ? ?

-brandon

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Well, while swimming on West mill creek, I heard a series of huffs and stomps coming from right across the stream ten feet into the woods. I ascended to the top of the beach to get a better view, but didn't see anything. Assuming it to be a buck, I went along with my business. In retrospect, I doubt it was a deer.

And 2 weeks prior to this, I was kayaking the Mechescatauxin when I saw claw markings on the bank of the stream, as if a large animal was climbing out of the water. The print was about six inches across, and the claws dug into the soil about an inch. That's just what I need...to come across a bend on a small creek and surprise a black bear....