beef jerky

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
For decent store-bought try Bringhursts (856-767-0110) in Tansboro. It ain't cheap but its pretty good. It's on Willamstown-New Freedom Rd. about a mile south of Route 73. They have a few different flavors.(hot, teryiaki)
Bringhurts is a family owned slaughterhouse and butcher shop and has a good selection of homemade sausages and great homemade smoked kielbasa.
Get there early Saturday mornings and you can get the kielbasa right after it comes out of the smoker. You can eat it cold on the way home or in the woods since it is smoked.
They will custom butcher any pork, chicken or beef cuts for you in a few minutes.
They have emu meat and eggs too!
Its all fresh too.
Try there hot pepper bacon or regular slab bacon.
I make my own deer jerky from boned shoulder meat in my smoker over black cherry wood or hickory a couple times a year.
Dead animals rule!
Scott

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
RednekF350 said:
Bringhurts is a family owned slaughterhouse and butcher shop and has a good selection of homemade sausages and great homemade smoked kielbasa.Scott

One of our pine barren explorer crew brought smoked kielbasa from Trenton on a trip one time. It really is delicious cold. Great with mustard.

How about smoked whiting. Another delicious treat.

Yummmmmm :D

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
bruset said:
Wild Bills! Available at any Wawa.

This is what originally got me hooked on eating beef jerky as a snack. However, my old manager brought in some fresh deer jerky once and it was the best meat I had ever tasted.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Deer jerky is better because it is so much leaner than any beef you can buy.
Any fat in the meat adds an undesireable flavor to the jerky as it ages.
When you make your own, you don't add sodium nitrite either which is in all the store bought jerkies.
Nitrites aren't too healthy for you and are found in all lunchmeats and bacon.
Bringhurst actually makes a no nitrite bacon. Just salt and smoke the way it was years ago.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
RednekF350 said:
Just salt and smoke the way it was years ago.
I remember our 'family' butcher. My grandfather helped him build his smoke house & shop in the 20's and the guy was rather old when I was young. He & his kids had moved from the corner butcher shop into wholesale meat distribution, building a refridgerated warehouse next door to the old shop but Mom & Dad still made their own hams, bacon and bologna using methods they brought over from Germany in the 20's.

I remember watching him cut a ham, sharpening the knife & just laying it on the ham & it seems to cut w/ out any pressure, a few strokes of the bone saw & we had a half ham wrapped in butcher paper & tied w/ string.

The goverment shut him down 'cause he was still using antique, hand cranked stuffers. his scrapple was great, his bologna was preserative free and used all 'natural' [sheep intestine] casings and would mold after a week so saturday lunch was the remainder w/ the casing cut off & fried.

The regulators wanted him to buy motor driven equipment w/ enclosed gears ';cause they thought it was a 'contamination' hazard to use the 'old' stuff. The guy & his wife were in their 70's and the old shop was their lives. The closed the shop & died shortly after, their work was their life. What a loss...

I'm sure some people call that progress BUT you never read about this kind of shop killing people w/ e-coli & recalling thousands of tons of contaminated meat products. Govmt & big business have changed things but are they better?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Me and an Italian buddy (who got me started making wine years ago) occasionally make air-dried venison sausage similar to an Abbruzese or soppressata.
We stuff the casings with seasoned raw ground deer meat and then hang them for 3 months in the rafters of his garage.
If that won't kill you, I don't know what will. It is always good and ain't nobody died yet.
Salt and smoke can cure anything if you know what you're doing.
The old ways are simple and safe.
I also do all my own butchering, so I know how the meat was handled from the time the animal hit the ground until it lands on my plate.
Scott

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
That makes a real difference. Due to the varieties of weather conditions, we use a butcher in Rosetto, Pa. that used to be the head cutter at a local PA food chain. We were one of his first customers when he opened his own place. We take our deer there after supper & it is skinned and hung in the locker. Usually one of us goes back and he cuts it in front of us & we re-wrap it ourselves.

I see guys hanging deer in warm temps and ones that let 'em freeze in the skin. Then they wonder why people say it tastes 'gamey'. Of course we split up the meat between everyone at camp when it was shot so it get frozen in several different freezers that way.

My brother in law has a co-worker who lives on a farm that lets him hunt archery there...when there is no fights between family members & they butcher the deer and he lost a lot of hamburger 'cuse the guy's fridge was too small to cool it down fast enough. Pro equipment, powered meat grinder, they do their own sheep but they butcher them in cold weather but bow season was too warm.

The successful hunter neesd to make sure it's done right otherwise it's a waste of a magnicificent resource.