Black Bear with cubs spotted in Vineland this morning...

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
That Bear was mobbed ,
VINELAND -- Crowds are gathering around a bear in a tree in Vineland.

As of 1 p.m. Friday, a black bear can be seen holding onto high branches in a tree on Howard Street. Local police and Animal Control officers are trying to keep the bear in the tree as they also work to calm crowds and keep people away from the scene to ensure everyone's safety.

Officials are waiting for the NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildlife to arrive on scene, so those officers can tranquilize the bear and move the animal to a safer location.

Originally, police said the animal was found in a tree near the Happy Acres Trailer Park on the 1200 block of North East Boulevard, but the animal ran off before they could catch it. Meanwhile, officials believe there could be another bear in the area and are warning residents to not go near the animal if they see it.
http://www.nbc40.net/news/23000/

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Update.....Wildlife officials allowed the public to line up single file to take a photo of the bear. That is crap, 100 degree weather and they put the bear up for a photo shoot.

The bear suffered some minor scrapes but was deemed in good health after a quick assessment on the front lawn. He was measured, weighed and had blood drawn and ticks removed to monitor the bear’s condition.
The final stats were impressive. The bear tipped the scales at 235.8 pounds and was 5 feet, 6 inches tall, according to wildlife officials.
The bear was given an ear tag and tattoo on his inside cheek so he would be recognized if he crossed paths with humans at a future date. While the bear was still sedated, wildlife officials allowed the public to line up single file to take a photo of the bear that held their attention from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

JohnD.

Apr 19, 2012
Dorchester, NJ
Thanks Manumuskin. He was actually more of a peachy/ beige-orange to my eye. I do remember seeing photos many years ago of brick-red pines from Burlington co.

Does anyone know where the bear was/will be released? I am guessing he will be taken up north?

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Thanks Manumuskin. He was actually more of a peachy/ beige-orange to my eye. I do remember seeing photos many years ago of brick-red pines from Burlington co.

Does anyone know where the bear was/will be released? I am guessing he will be taken up north?
They released the 238lb bear into Wharton State Forest late Friday night

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

the ones I speak of were brick red as you say and in burlington as well.the color was darker the more toward the tail you went.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
UPDATE.......
The bear that captivated Vineland for a day as it roamed through the city has once again strayed from the forest — but this time, North Jersey was on his travel itinerary.
The 2-year-old black bear climbed a tree on Howard Street here five weeks ago and kept the city at bay until he was tranquilized and released in a state forest.
The same bear has been spotted again in a residential neighborhood, more than 100 miles away from Vineland.
The 235-pound bear was tranquilized here June 29 and taken to Wharton State Forest, where he was released.
It was located three weeks ago in a neighborhood in East Brunswick, Middlesex County — approximately 116 miles from here, according to Larry Hajna, spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection.

http://www.thedailyjournal.com/arti...rest-again?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They must do most of their traveling in the middle of the night. It would be hard for a bear to travel that far in populated area's without being viewed during the day.