Brick ID

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I found this half brick by an old saw mill, does it mean anything to anyone?

P1040749.JPG

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Yes, Peter Pan's lesser known brother was Sander Pan.
Disney only needed one fairy, so Sander went into the brick business.
You have found a remnant one of his products.
:)

Good one, Scott!

Actually, the brick likely came from the Ostrander Fire Brick Company, which had its works along the Raritan River in Fords, New Jersey. A number probably appeared in the center of the brick, between the words “Ostrander” and “Raritan” to indicated the level of hardness, e.g., “No. 1.” This firebrick probably served to support the boiler and/or boiler firebox associated with the sawmill, suggesting that this particular sawmill dates to the last quarter of the nineteenth century.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, Peter Pan's lesser known brother was Sander Pan.
Disney only needed one fairy, so Sander went into the brick business.
You have found a remnant one of his products.
:)

A great post! :dance:

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Good one, Scott!

Actually, the brick likely came from the Ostrander Fire Brick Company, which had its works along the Raritan River in Fords, New Jersey. A number probably appeared in the center of the brick, between the words “Ostrander” and “Raritan” to indicated the level of hardness, e.g., “No. 1.” This firebrick probably served to support the boiler and/or boiler firebox associated with the sawmill, suggesting that this particular sawmill dates to the last quarter of the nineteenth century.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thanks again to the knowledge of Jerseyman, another mystery is solved.

Jim

Jerseyman,

So number 1 is the hardest??

Guy

Guy:

No, a number 1 firebrick is actually the lowest brick made with fireclay you can buy, which is why No. 1’s are so common. There are three types of fireclay for making firebrick: no. 1, no. 2, and no. 3. The No. 1 firebrick was the least expensive one to purchase, but also had the lowest rating for heat exposure. Once you go above a no. 3 fireclay, you enter the world of refractories, where companies manufacture specialty bricks for lining fireboxes, steel furnaces, etc.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: Trailwalker

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
My favorite reason for being here..... the new things I learn. Thank you for the crash course on bricks, Jerseyman. After purchasing our first house I was looking for "green" ways to landscape. I would travel to A.C. and look for buildings that were being knocked down and ask to collect brick from the site. I think I carted home 8-9 truckloads. Not alot, but it stayed out of a landfill.....who thought the common brick would have such history.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Thanks Jerseyman, what other site could you go to and ask a question about a broken brick and get an education.

Ed

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Awesome thread, Ed.

I recently found a variety of bricks from different manufacturing companies at the site of an old saw mill. One of them was from Brooklyn Brick Company and another from Plainville, Ocean County. I was informed that the latter was made by the Union Clay Works, and that there are few such bricks to be found. Jerseyman, can you verify this?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Awesome thread, Ed.

I recently found a variety of bricks from different manufacturing companies at the site of an old saw mill. One of them was from Brooklyn Brick Company and another from Plainville, Ocean County. I was informed that the latter was made by the Union Clay Works, and that there are few such bricks to be found. Jerseyman, can you verify this?

Odd, but when I first started this thread I thought everyone would think "what a dorky question", but for those of us pinelands explorers the details are where it's at.

My favorite reason for being here..... the new things I learn. Thank you for the crash course on bricks, Jerseyman. After purchasing our first house I was looking for "green" ways to landscape. I would travel to A.C. and look for buildings that were being knocked down and ask to collect brick from the site. I think I carted home 8-9 truckloads. Not alot, but it stayed out of a landfill.....who thought the common brick would have such history.

Thanks Jerseyman, what other site could you go to and ask a question about a broken brick and get an education.

Ed

Turtle and Ed, et al.:

Glad you enjoyed this thread! Bricks and brickmaking is one of my many special interests, so I am delighted when questions such as yours come up! I am happy to be of service.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Awesome thread, Ed.

Gabe:

Good stuff! You are correct: the brick marked for Plainville did, indeed, come from the so-called Union Clay Works. I have one marked “Ocean County 1850” from the same works, commemorating the legislative incorporation of the county in that year. I have a newspaper clipping from the 1860s about moving a stationary steam engine from the Raritan and Delaware Bay Railroad to the clay works at Plainville. Yes, a brick marked with “Plainville” is a rare one, particularly if it is in one piece!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Odd, but when I first started this thread I thought everyone would think "what a dorky question", but for those of us pinelands explorers the details are where it's at.

Not at all :). Bricks are absolutely fascinating. Among the ones I have seen are Sayer and Fischer, M.D. Valentine, a partial Ocean Co. 1850 from the Union Clay site, and of course lots of pieces. Turning one over is like scratching a lottery ticket for me, and the rewards are just as scarce! (well, almost).

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I just found a "Valentine II" in my back yard pile and I feel like I hit paydirt! Now I hid it in the garage......why? Because it's part of my huge and neverending collection of pine things, story sharers, and whimsy. My garage is getting full.........I am a pack rat of sorts. Fun.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Old bricks do have a history of there own. I have a few Bricks from Atl county park that are stamped " SB Co. I also had at one time some bricks from the Mansion that was on Chatsworth Lake .
But i did like the one about Peter Pan

Old bricks do have a history of there own. I have a few Bricks from Atl county park that are stamped “SB Co.” I also had at one time some bricks from the Mansion that was on Chatsworth Lake.
But i did like the one about Peter Pan

Wow, Tom—you have a brick that is very far from home! The Sacramento Brick Company of California manufactured that brick and it found its way to Atlantic County. I suspect it may be a leftover from constructing the Bethlehem Loading Company plant and the adjacent company town of Belcoville. Nice find!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

I just found a "Valentine II" in my back yard pile and I feel like I hit paydirt! Now I hid it in the garage......why? Because it's part of my huge and neverending collection of pine things, story sharers, and whimsy. My garage is getting full.........I am a pack rat of sorts. Fun.

Turtle:

Can you post a photograph of your Valentine brick? I am curious about the “II” you indicate is present in the stamping.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Thanks Jerseyman,
Most of the bricks out there were worn away or broken but i dug thru the rubble and found two good ones. I love walking around Atl. county park, you can walk around Back where the old foundations are all day long and never be on the same road twice, especially out towards the Artisian well and the old Cemetery, :jd: