Capewell Glass Negative Collection

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The name of the station is on the end of the boarding area roof, but there isn't enough detail in the to make out anything specific. In the second picture, follow the angled and upright passenger car roof to the boarding area - a faint name plate is barely visible.

Reactions: Willceau Illo
Folks:

This is the wreck of the West Jersey & Seashore’s 9:00 a.m. Cape May Express, which occurred on 5 August 1904. Here is a newspaper account of the wreck:

Cape May Flyer Wrecked.jpg

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a great photo and as usual Jerseyman made the view that much better. Thanks for posting this ..... I really enjoyed it.

Jerseyman....do you know of any other photo's surviving?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A very nice photo! It is sad that he did not detail the location.

Guy

He may have thought there was some permanence about the places that he shot and that they would always be there and always be known.

Personal photographs are just that: personal. As long as John Capewell remained alive, he could readily identify the location and the building in each image and he likely did not care about those images after his demise. He intended the photos to be enjoyed by himself and his family during his lifetime.

I recently received, as a gift, my great grandfather’s glass-plate and film negative collection. He recorded the identity for most of the negatives in two small spiral-bound notebooks, but there are a few he failed to record. In recent weeks, I have been cleaning out the apartment of the relative who presented me with the negatives and I found my g-g-grandfather’s mounted prints—complete with captions identifying the location! I could not be happier!! One of my library volunteers processed the entire collection to archival standards, wrapping each negative in an acid-free non-buffered Permalife wrapper and then housing them in archival boxes. It is a joy to pull out a negative and scan it just to examine the scene in detail. There is no better foundation for a photographic image than a glass plate!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Willceau Illo

Explorer
Feb 5, 2012
Personal photographs are just that: personal. As long as John Capewell remained alive, he could readily identify the location and the building in each image and he likely did not care about those images after his demise. He intended the photos to be enjoyed by himself and his family during his lifetime.

I recently received, as a gift, my great grandfather’s glass-plate and film negative collection. He recorded the identity for most of the negatives in two small spiral-bound notebooks, but there are a few he failed to record. In recent weeks, I have been cleaning out the apartment of the relative who presented me with the negatives and I found my g-g-grandfather’s mounted prints—complete with captions identifying the location! I could not be happier!! One of my library volunteers processed the entire collection to archival standards, wrapping each negative in an acid-free non-buffered Permalife wrapper and then housing them in archival boxes. It is a joy to pull out a negative and scan it just to examine the scene in detail. There is no better foundation for a photographic image than a glass plate!

Best regards,
Jerseyman
That sounds incredible!