Changes to Forked Rivers

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Fired up the old jeep for the first time after the water pump started leaking about six months ago. Drove down the Tuckerton Railroad to the south branch of the Forked River and to my amazement. The pipes that have been in the water are no longer there, they have been dragged out and are off to the side. They’re not damaged in any way. There are some sandbags further down the river. Is it possible the state did this to get back to a more natural water flow? This got me thinking and I as I drove towards Forked River Mountain. I decided to stay on the railroad bed and see what happened with the North Branch. The guard rails are still up so vehicles can’t get through. But they re-graded the area and there’s no more steep banks going down to the river. I remember when the Trestle used to be on the north branch. But what was used to cross the south branch? Was there ever a trestle there? The grade on either side is much much higher than the water. I have been going out to these spots since the mid-80s. And only remember the pipes.

Attachments

• IMG_3789.jpeg
    IMG_3789.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3790.jpeg
    IMG_3790.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The south branch pipes have been out for several years now. Be careful, there is a metal angle iron underneath the water and sticking straight up. When (if) you drive through, make sure you look it over first. There had to be at least a small trestle at the South Branch. Long gone now.