Check your basement

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
Ive been pumping water out off my garage since 1am. Got to bed at 5, got up at 11 and started pumping again. Still at it. Dug a trench in front of my garage, across the driveway, into the yard to help alleviate the flooding. It seemed to have worked.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ive been pumping water out off my garage since 1am. Got to bed at 5, got up at 11 and started pumping again. Still at it. Dug a trench in front of my garage, across the driveway, into the yard to help alleviate the flooding. It seemed to have worked.

It can get trying. One year I had 2 portable pumps plus the french drain pump. I'm going to home depot in the morning to get a backup. I"ll bet they have a run on pumps.

The Dam at bamber is literally roaring. Its a horshoe dam with a center main flow. The center flow is being swept back and forth by the outer flows. It's interesting to watch.

ZZ3GMC

Scout
Sep 19, 2003
Pemberton
Visit site
My brothers sump broke today and he went to H/D to get another. They were sold out. Ive had to miss about 3 days of work this year pumping water out. It doesnt get real deep, maybe a half inch or more, but it starts covering the whole garage floor. I have a surface pump that seems to work well but I have to stay with it so it doesnt aireate and burn itself out. Ive got to do something about it soon, its starting to get old real fast.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
One of my front yards is under water. Looks like a good size pond. Not up to the house yet. I'm getting nervous, I live in a bi-level.

Jeff

bigw00dy

Scout
Apr 10, 2008
www.kiddshow.com
Someone should bring a pump to Rt. 72 halfway between 539 & Four Mile. road has been flooded/frozen for over a week now. I was noticing the water creeping up on the north side of the road for the last couple of weeks.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
My brothers sump broke today and he went to H/D to get another. They were sold out. Ive had to miss about 3 days of work this year pumping water out. It doesnt get real deep, maybe a half inch or more, but it starts covering the whole garage floor. I have a surface pump that seems to work well but I have to stay with it so it doesnt aireate and burn itself out. Ive got to do something about it soon, its starting to get old real fast.

I have a Little Giant pump which I bought at Leslies Pools which is submersible and pumps down to 1/8 inch. It senses water and turns on when needed and turns off when done. No need to baby sit.

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/H...ible-Pump/D/30100/P/1:100:5000:500030/I/40785

I use it for the pool cover and pond. I've had it for about 10 years aand it's been teriffic.

Ed

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Someone should bring a pump to Rt. 72 halfway between 539 & Four Mile. road has been flooded/frozen for over a week now. I was noticing the water creeping up on the north side of the road for the last couple of weeks.

I knowthat spot all to well constantly traveling from the atco area to Lacey

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
A Brief Return to Historical Shallow Groundwater Levels

Water-table levels might seem excessive during the winter of 2009/2010, but I suggest even higher levels were once the norm here. Locals, who have long-term memory of their surroundings, widely accept in their collective knowledge that the Pinelands are drying up. I attributed this phenomenon to over-withdrawal of ground water and urbanization pressures (French & Demitroff, 2001; Demitroff. 2007), but there certainly may be more to this story. Climate change dynamics also deserve consideration.

So what do we know about playing the climate-change card? What does the future portend for shallow-ground hydrology, the life-blood of the Pinelands? A new study suggests the Northeast will experience wetter conditions!

http://live.psu.edu/story/40569

Admittedly, climatologists have a hard enough time predicting weather two-weeks out let alone conjuring up long-term prognostications. However, we do know that climate change can cut both ways – providing both additions and subtractions. With land-use planning we must consider what could happen if indeed precipitation increases and once-present wetlands reappear – even if only temporarily. Some stewards of the Pinelands accept the current drying trend to be a one-way street, and, albeit grudgingly, tolerate development upon what was once swampland. Even if wetlands desiccate for whatever reason, it is foolish to build upon their carcasses. They may return, even if only sporadically like the Richland cripple.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=6033&page=2

I by no means want to leave the impression that groundwater withdrawal isn’t a major problem. Even if rainfall increases Pinelands shallow aquifer-levels, much like recent "flashy" streamflow (Dow, 2007: Assessing regional land-use/cover influences on New Jersey Pinelands streamflow through hydrograph analysis), will become increasingly erratic. With so much at stake, where’s the science? What ever happened to the Gibson Bill (N.J.P.L. 2001 c.165), which was supposed to assess the current sustainability of South Jersey’s aquifers? Well withdrawals are quantifiable phenomena that we can and should study. The Kirkwood-Cohansey Work Plan, part of the Gibson study will include twelve topics of interest, none of which directly address the historical context of Pinelands wetlands. I suppose there is no need to ask a question that politicians already know the answer to.

Best,
Spung-Man

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Many times the winter will produce more moisture in living quarters than the summer. When you get an inch or two of permafrost started, if it warms up quickly and happens to rain, the ground will remain frozen and the moisture cannot penetrate. Gravity will run the moisture to the lowest possible area, which is often our crawl spaces amd basements. I have the same problem.

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
I remember several spungs in the Seventies that always held water at least 6 months a year in Medford that tried up when developments began to encircle them.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Probably beavers :rofl:

usafvet

Sep 15, 2008
Little Egg Harbor
I also heard it probably is beavers. The state checked it and their solution is to keep salting it and plow the water off once it thaws. Wonderful state at work. Drive safe through there it wont be fixed for a while.