Climbing Trees Does NOT Keep You Safe From Black Bears

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Great video! As many times as I have seen videos like this and the few times I have seen black bears in Sussex county, the speed and power of these animals is something not to under estimate. The bear in the video climbed that tree lightning fast! I have seen them climb very steep, bouldered inclines just as fast. The pair of hunters handled the incident like champs. I'm sure I would be a little more excited if I where in either of their shoes.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Very cool. While I’ve never had this happen to me, I’ve had many other unforgettable encounters and experiences while hunting, having nothing to do with the kill, which would not likely have happened while pursuing other outdoor activities. Hunting often results in a more complete immersion into the environment, making you feel more a participant than an observer.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe it was bow season and they did not have gun. I'll have to look the video over again to see if they had one.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
My wife and I saw one, we surprised it by walking up on it. It was no more than 10 feet away when it noticed us and ran and hid behind a tree. I couldn't believe how fast that thing ran.

What's the story in this case? Was the bear going after them, or was it going after food they had, etc?

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
My dog treed a bear in Norvin Green SF a few years back. I was pretty impressed how quickly the bear took off as soon as my dog spotted it. My dog is a fast runner and was many yards behind the bear before it clambered up a tree.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Wow! That was insane! The hunters really kept their cool.

I have only seen a black bear once in the wild in my life. I jumped the bear while it was bedded in some thick saplings. It was just a flash of black plowing through the thick second growth! Gone in no time! My cousin scared a bear high out of a beech tree while it was feeding. He told me he couldn't believe how fast the bear came down out of the tree and was gone!

Chris

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Finally, somebody has a credible video of Bigfoot trick or treating in a bear costume.:D

Assuming those guys in the tree stand were armed, they allowed a bear displaying an aggressive posture to get a lot closer to them than I would have. Once that bear started up the tree, that would have been enough evidence for me that it meant to cause me death or serious bodily injury, at which point deadly force is justified.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Maybe it was bow season and they did not have gun. I'll have to look the video over again to see if they had one.

Yep, just looked at the video again. They were bow hunting. At the very beginning of the video you can see arrows.

They were smart to stay still and not run. While an arrow at close range is not nearly as effective as a 12 gauge, I still think I would have had one aimed at the bear's head or throat in case he moved in close enough to make contact with me.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
NO one knows what they would have done.The good is ,it work out good for all. When something happens that fast and crazy you hope your training will kick in .That does not always happen.That was a very tough call.Another bear spooked that bear.Just glad it worked out for everyone

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
black bears climb trees like its nothing. What keeps you safe from bears is being calm. Trying to pull anything but a pistol on that bear seems like a really great way to get knocked out of a tree and mauled. much respect to those two for keeping their cool.

Reactions: dogg57