Corn snake

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks - that looks just like a snake I saw yesterday morning myself. It was not very long. Disappeared very quickly before I got a good look at it! I didn't realize we had them around here.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Ed make sure not to reveal any locality data publicly on that snake....just a heads up.

Corns are uncommon where you live Boyd with only scattered records being documented. Water snakes and coastal plains milksnakes can look similar at a quick glance. If you do find one down there take a good photo and submit it to Dave Golden at NJ ENSP, as it would be a good find.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, what program are you using for water marks? I was using RealWaterMark, the computer crashed and now I can't find a working download site.

I use iWaterMark for the Mac, but they do have a Windows version. It costs $30. It is not the best product in the world but I got my money's worth out of it. It takes a little getting use to and some time to set up, but once you do it works well. The main problem I have with it is if your photo's are different sizes it makes the watermark a different size and it does not always look right. However, if you are using the same size photo right from your camera it will always look correct.

http://plumamazing.com/mac/iwatermark/about-watermarking/

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
down my way it is common to find black rats with red in them.Iwonder if perhaps they don't recognize the same species lines we impose upon them sometimes.

You make a point I’ve been making for years. Corn Snake, Pine Snake, or Humpback Whale are all terms that do not exist in the “natural” world. The same is true for terms such as genus, species or family. These are all creations of man in an attempt to create order in a disorderly world. It is true that they are useful or even necessary for our scientific and other purposes, but nature feels no obligation to conform to the pigeon holes we’ve created for it. The Baltimore Oriel used to be the Northern Oriel, and before that the Baltimore Oriel. With each name change many birders will correct you for using the wrong term. Meanwhile the bird hasn’t changed and goes happily on not knowing what it is, other than hungry or horny.

Reactions: turtle

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
German,

As with snakes they change the latin names so often it is impossible to keep up with them.I was just surfing a snake discovered in China in 1989 that I think has to be the most beautiful snake I've ever seen.It's species name is mangshanensis but it has already been thru three genus changes in 17 years.it was declared a new species in 90.It currently goes by Zhaoermia but was recently Trimeresurus and before that was Protobothrops.Perhpas in time with the mapping of snake DNA they will figure out who is related to whom.I'm a lumper myself and feel that all kings and milks are really one species with geographical pattern variations.They will all breed together given the chance.The smae with pine,bull and gopher snakes.The reason the don't commonly interbreed is because they don't live in the same areas.Just as wherever two geographical variations of humans come into contact they interbreed.Whites with Native Americans as soon as they came in contact.Blacks and whites as soon as the unfortunate slave trade brought them together.Just shows we're all one race with geographical variations.Sometimes I even forget I'm Homo sapiens (I really do not like referred to as a Homo anyway) but two thing I never forget as you put it.When I'm hungry or horny:)
Al