Deep Run Again

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were at Deep Run on 10/12 and the pipe was not cleaned out. I was able to walk right down beside it easily. Today I noticed that heavy equipment had removed the mud and sticks surrounding the pipe.

IMG_0589a.jpg

As Scott has mentioned online the channel was lined with wood and sticks directing the water to the culvert many years ago.

IMG_0590a.jpg

IMG_0592a.jpg

IMG_0594a.jpg

Interesting find. It seem old and was buried in the mud well out towards the middle of the bog near the center.

IMG_0597a.jpg

IMG_0598a.jpg

We walked the complete first bog to the second one and all the way to the very last bog along the road and paths. Fish were struggling to find a place to survive.

IMG_0601a.jpg

The pipe under the second bog. No water at all in it but the beavers had the other side fully blocked as it has been for years.

IMG_0604a.jpg

IMG_0605a.jpg

At the last bog were the beaver dams. We have been there many multiple times and usually it is a flooded walk but this time is was only a struggle because the woods are closing in.
We took the easier way back to the car.

The very last northern bog.

IMG_0606a.jpg

IMG_0607a.jpg

IMG_0608a.jpg

IMG_0610a.jpg

On the way back.

IMG_0612a.jpg

As I always do when at the far back bog is look for two of the stone corners that Frank Earl Haines and his wife owned back there. They sold it to the state on 12/29/1967 and manumuskin and myself were able to find one of the stones years ago. Today, again, we were not able to find the two I am looking for at the bottom of this lot.

IMG_4469a.jpeg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And there are two bald eagles living there but I was only able to photograph this one far across the bog that must be young. It does not have the white head but one of them did. I am not sure if this was a third bird and not the eagle.

DSC_6498a.jpeg

DSC_6496a.jpeg

DSC_6494a.jpeg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You beat me to it Guy. I’m gonna post some of my pictures from yesterday as soon as I can find a decent program to dumb them down in size. The one I use at work is part of Windows. I can’t figure out why I don’t have the same thing in my Windows at home. I tried Adobe express today and it looks overly complicated.

This drought is a rare opportunity to see some really amazing things.
I told my three year-old grandson we’re gonna go look for some fishing lures and fishing hooks because all these stumps out here over the years fisherman would’ve hooked into them and only took us a minute to find two hooks with leaders attached and a spinner bait.
We saw the mature Bald Eagle in the rear bog yesterday. The whole localized ecosystem surrounding those bogs is really going to suffer from the fish loss. Coons and the birds of prey are probably stuffed with fish already gathered by easily grabbing them out of the pools that they care trapped in. Coon tracks were everywhere in those mud flats. Beaver will inherit the whole place eventually as long as they can eat some trees.
I’ll post some of my photos tonight

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I’m gonna post some of my pictures from yesterday as soon as I can find a decent program to dumb them down in size.

Are you taking pictures on your iPhone? If so, an easy way to reduce the size is just to e-mail them to yourself from the phone. It should ask if you want to reduce the size when you go to send the mail. I usually choose the "medium" option, it will reduce the size to something like 800 pixels wide.

But if you want to do it in Windows, you should be able to right-click on a photo and choose Edit which will open "Paint". There's a big resize button on the top left which gives you a bunch of options. FWIW, I am using Windows 10 Home Edition.

Screen Shot 2024-10-20 at 3.26.46 PM.png

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks Boyd! That light bulb just went off when I was a few beers in while sitting at Brotherton Brewing. I remembered that e every time I email myself a few photos, it prompts for size.
When I dump a lot of photos into my desktop I connect the phone by usb and put them in a folder and then I’m looking for a resizer.
Thanks!!

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Scott, I have windows 11. Every photo I click to open in the files has the edit capability right in there. Size too, in the dots...which I clicked on to show you. If I use the phone and email it to me from the phone, as soon as I open it in the email, I get the same edit capability.

1729480673378.png

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott, I have windows 11. Every photo I click to open in the files has the edit capability right in there. Size too, in the dots...which I clicked on to show you. If I use the phone and email it to me from the phone, as soon as I open it in the email, I get the same edit capability.

View attachment 23584
That's exactly what I see when I right click on any dumped photos on my work computer. Hmmmm. I'll have to discuss with one of the youngsters in the office.

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I am on Widdows 1 and do not see resize.
Ed,

Do you mean Windows 10? I just confirmed that I have Windows 11 in work and I have the resize option with just a right click on a photo.. I am pretty certain I have Windows 10 at home and I suppose that may be the problem.

Boyd's advice is very good too. With Windows 10 just right click a photo open with Paint. Then select the resize option in Paint.

I added another Deep Run thread this morning at home and I dumbed down the photos with my iPhone to "Medium" before I emailed them to myself.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think the option in Bob's screenshot is only available in Windows 11. On Windows 10, these are the options when I right-click an image file. The Edit option opens the Paint program which has been included since at least Windows 95. Don't know anything about Paint 3d, but it looks very similar. In Ed's screenshot (assuming Windows 10), apparently ClipChamp has been set as the default image editor. My menu options are a bit different since I run Windows in a virtual machine on my Mac.

Screen Shot 2024-10-21 at 11.16.22 AM.png

Last edited:

Michael Kirsh

May 20, 2005
Sea Bright, NJ
I was there the other day and saw the fish stuck in that remaining bit of water.

Why dont the Park Rangers at a bare minimum net them and transfer them over to Atison or some other body of water?

Someone has pointed out they are endangered Sunnies?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I was there the other day and saw the fish stuck in that remaining bit of water.

Why dont the Park Rangers at a bare minimum net them and transfer them over to Atison or some other body of water?

Someone has pointed out they are endangered Sunnies?
Something like that would be more in the realm of Fish and Wildlife. I believe it's too late to do anything now and I also believe that the logistics are monumental.

Workers would have to walk the interior of these immense bogs on foot and collect fish from puddles with nets and buckets. The fish would need immediate aeration in the buckets and the tanker transport trucks that they would need to dump then into would not be able to access most of the bog perimeters, requiring a long walk back by the collectors with each bucket. Not practical.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Besides the very real issue of how impractical moving the fish would be, there is another issue that may seem counterintuitive in regards to a threatened or endangered species. In nature, with the exception of cases such as reptiles that are being collected for the pet trade, species do not normally become rare because something is happening to individual specimens or to an isolated population. It is usually one or more larger and often permanent factors, such as wider scale habitat destruction or degradation due to development. The degradation could be something as innocuous seeming as spreading salt on roads in winter or materials used for bridge construction, both changing the pH of the wetlands downstream. In nature, individuals of a species do not matter to the population's health as much as their habitat does.

That is the reason regulated hunting does not wipe out native game species. That’s also why local populations of disturbance-oriented species, such as the rare wetland plants, come and go as disturbance is followed by forest succession and their habitat gradually disappears. It's also worth mentioning that these fish did not evolve to live in old cranberry bogs. Lakes and ponds of any type did not exist in the Pine Barrens or anywhere else south of the portions of the state impacted by glaciers until after European settlement.