Don't buy an Apple

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Just to change the subject.

I have nothing against them. But, I do own Dell, so hate to see Dell get trashed every time I look at the forum titles.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Actually, my 2 kids have Dell laptops for college. My ex-wife got them from a friend of hers.

I bought each kid an inexpensive all-in-one printer, copier, scanner; the HP F340. Now, if you don't like this printer, go easy on me, I could not afford something better, and figured its at least a start for the kids. If they fail, I'll buy something better.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Other than it taking 3 years to pay off, I had no problems with my Dell. Just recently upgraded and sold it to my aunt.

...now my Dell all in one printer, on the other hand, was godawful.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Damn! Now what am I going to have to call my tripod? "Three legged thingy" seems awkward.

Steve

I shall henceforth, whenever refering to the three-legged support for my camera - either orally or in print-, called it my "T.R. iPod."

Oh... those periods? That space? And the idiosyncratic capitalizations?... just "typos"

Dave

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
Neither

I think both of these companies make really crappy products that not only limit what you can do with technology but also infringe on privacy rights...

Buy a $20book on computer building. You will be very surprised on how easy it really is to build and maintain a computer.Also you will save yourself a few bucks by buying features that you really want as opposed to what is forced on you.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think both of these companies make really crappy products that not only limit what you can do with technology but also infringe on privacy rights...

If you are talking about Apple I have to disagree. At work most of us use 10 year old Mac's that are subjected to oil, grease, dust, dirt, metal chips, and anything else you can throw at them. Every six months or so I have to clean mine with degreaser so you can see the white color of it. Still works.

I have owned 7 of them and only one actually stopped working on me.

Guy

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
I was actually speaking of both companies and the products currently on the market..My experience with both have been negative ones....

davensj

Explorer
Apr 8, 2004
The Real South Jersey
I`ll Never buy another HP All in One,, I had a Officejet 6210 All in One for 10 month`s and the Fax died, HP sends me a Remanufactured unit and it lasted 3 days and it died, Now they jerked me around for 2 days saying they sent another one to replace the second one, But never sent it. Today they gave me a tracking number so i know one was sent. If the third one die`s...it`s getting the SLEDGEHAMMER and All the Pieces are going in a Box and getting sent back to HP.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Well I am very pleased with my Dell. Why would I shell out twice the amount of $$ for an Apple? I aint saying Apples are bad machines, but you're mostly paying for an image. It may be more user friendly, but why spend 2 times as much on a computer so you don't have to press a few extra buttons?

Well I am very pleased with my Dell. Why would I shell out twice the amount of $$ for an Apple? I aint saying Apples are bad machines, but you're mostly paying for an image. It may be more user friendly, but why spend 2 times as much on a computer so you don't have to press a few extra buttons?

true
When my sony viao laptop's harddrive died this past february, I thought about replacing it with an Apple but would have had to spend at least 5 grand on it. I got a HP laptop instead; the amount of money I saved over buying the Apple was worth the aggrivation of dealing with Vista compatibilities ... if I had gone with the apple, I would not have had the money for the photography equipment that I got this spring :)

I don't think I'll ever get another viao tho... when the harddrive crashed, the friend who was helping me out (as he knows MUCH more about computers than I), could not get the case open without breaking it. Being that it was 3 years old, I decided to replace it rather then send it to sony.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Uh, have you guys looked at Apple prices recently? Where did you see a $5,000 Mac laptop, they have never cost that much. The top of the line MacBook Pro is $2,800. If you max it out with the biggest hard drive and full RAM capacity it's $3,800 and we're talking about a very high end machine. I think you'll find comparable pricing on machines with similar specs from the other PC makers.

If you want to go cheap, a MacBook can be had for $1,100. Max that out with RAM and HD and get the top of the line model and it's $1,775.

Or take the budget route and get a Mac Mini for $600. The top of the line model there maxxed out with RAM and HD comes to $1,350 (you still need a monitor, but those are dirt cheap today).

Apple has become very competitive, a fact which has received a lot of press even in places like PC magazines. That's one reason why they're doing so well today. And the same hardware can run both Windows and MacOS now.

Having said all that, if you have a computer you like then by all means stick with it. It's only a tool. I'm just pointing out a common misconception which is fueled by people talking about $5,000 Macs. For $4,700 you can get their top of the line desktop machine with two 3.0ghz quad-core Xeon processors which is way more than most people will ever need. Naturally you can easily get that price up to $10,000 by adding expensive goodies, but we're not talking about a consumer type machine there...

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah I'd stay away from the Sony VIAO stuff, I've seen those in the Sony stores, not at all thrilled with them. Too much proprietary stuff and expensive.
You really cant go wrong with Dell or even HP. They are not perfect but give you the most power and flexibility for your buck.