Earthquake or ?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just felt two pretty big shockwaves of some kind here, shook the house a little. Could have been a sonic boom maybe, but didn't seem like one.

Anybody else notice something? Don't see anything on USGS list around here. It was about 4:32 or 4:33 I believe.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Is Lakehurst testing the new F-35C fighter? The navy redesigned the tail hook and the fighter was supposed to be going through testing again before carrier trials. Some of the associated tests are high speed.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I too heard the boom while seeding an early crop of snow peas in pots. My place is in western Atlantic County east of Vineland. An extended series of low-frequency rumbles seemed to emanate from the Delmarva Peninsula's direction. There was no ground shaking like during the earthquake. It was an atmospheric phenomenon. This seems to be the only place on the net talking about the boom.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had just got in my car and was driving at 4:32 and did not feel it. I was semi near where Jeff was in Mt. Laurel.

This same sort of thing occured in the night a few weeks back. My daughter and I were woken up but my wife and other daughter did not hear or feel it.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
An extended series of low-frequency rumbles seemed to emanate from the Delmarva Peninsula's direction. There was no ground shaking like during the earthquake. It was an atmospheric phenomenon.

That's a good description. I only heard two distinct rumbles though, in quick sequence. Weird...

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I had just got in my car and was driving at 4:32 and did not feel it. I was semi near where Jeff was in Mt. Laurel.

This same sort of thing occured in the night a few weeks back. My daughter and I were woken up but my wife and other daughter did not hear or feel it.

Guy
I remember that but I woke out of a late nap,ask around everyone else said nothing.Like Spung-mans Report. Wierd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Perhaps some military training going on? Heard what sounded like thunder late last night when walking the dog. It all depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was reading a Vermont website and found this from Friday and it was referring to Thursday.

Sonic boom linked to military flight

Posted: Feb 22, 2013 11:50 AM ESTUpdated: Feb 22, 2013 3:14 PM EST

BURLINGTON, Vt. -​
Turns out that a loud noise and shaking many experienced Thursday was a sonic boom -- courtesy of the military.

The Massachusetts Air National Guard says a routine training flight in a F-15C broke the sound barrier at 20-thousand feet. The sonic boom could be heard and felt from Bradford, Vermont down to Lyme, New Hampshire. The commander of the Massachusetts Air Guard says his unit never intended to cause undue concern.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
OK, the Air National Guard boom was heard and felt over a ten-mile swath in central VT and NH. I'm over 300 mile away. While it may have been a sonic boom, it would be surprising if the two were related. The thundering noise rumbled for at least 15 seconds with several sharp rapports, each less loud than the first.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The question is how far did they travel that day? They may have been along the Jersey coast also.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Is Lakehurst testing the new F-35C fighter?

If that's what it was, then I guess we won't be hearing more of them for awhile. :D

The Pentagon on Friday grounded its fleet of F-35 fighter jets after discovering a cracked engine blade in one plane.

All versions -- a total of 51 planes -- were grounded Friday pending a more in-depth evaluation of the problem discovered at Edwards

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57570848/pentagon-grounds-f-35-fleet-after-engine-crack-found/
The thundering noise rumbled for at least 15 seconds with several sharp rapports, each less loud than the first.
That is interesting. I did not hear the long rumbling noise, but I was inside the house.