Edge Cove Branch, TRR

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Ever since I became interested in railroad history, I've wondered if any remains of the Tuckerton Railroad's Edge Cove Branch can be found on the saltmarsh, particularly at the bay shore. I've traced the railbed from the mainline to Rt. 9 easily enough, but I'm determined to find some remnant at the other end. I spent some time today with TerraServer and Google Maps, since you can sometimes find old railbeds easier from the air than beneath your nose, but I saw no trace. It looks like the Mosquito Commission has impacted the marsh severely there, and I'm sure the bay shore has experienced significant erosion in the last century as well. It looks like myself and my kayak are going to have to get muddy the next warm day that comes along!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
GermanG said:
Ever since I became interested in railroad history, I've wondered if any remains of the Tuckerton Railroad's Edge Cove Branch can be found on the saltmarsh, particularly at the bay shore. I've traced the railbed from the mainline to Rt. 9 easily enough, but I'm determined to find some remnant at the other end. I spent some time today with TerraServer and Google Maps, since you can sometimes find old railbeds easier from the air than beneath your nose, but I saw no trace. It looks like the Mosquito Commission has impacted the marsh severely there, and I'm sure the bay shore has experienced significant erosion in the last century as well. It looks like myself and my kayak are going to have to get muddy the next warm day that comes along!

Take your camera and post some photo's if you are interested in passing them along.

Guy

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I wouldn't think of not bringing my camera Guy. My only problem is that I'm still one of those stubborn 35mm knuckle-draggers. I guess things like this forum are just one more reason I should start walking upright and enter the 21st century.

But even if I do go digital, I refuse to give up my muzzleloaders, or trade my wooden molding planes for a router!