I've just added some shots of the Hampton Furnace area

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I just uploaded some new pictures of the Hampton Furnace area. Most of the stuff that I took pics of, I have no clue what was there besides there used to be a building there at one time. I can make out the well, but some of the foundations I got on there, i'm not sure if they were just houses or what? Can anybody help? I also got a shot of the old bridge underneath the new one they built but it didn't turn out too well. Thanks

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you leave the large open area and pass the main ruin on your right, and continue to the next bridge over the Skit branch, you can find a large section of the cement bridge that they removed in the early 80's to replace it with the present bridge. This was one of the cement bridges that Beck called the "modern concrete contrivance" which is the photo on the left here.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10007/aay.jpg

Cross the bridge and about 200 feet on your right just off the road you will find it. For some reason they left it there.

It is located here.

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4401919.00011478&e=527630&datum=nad83

Guy

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I also just added some pictures of Washington, does anybody know what that was? I hear from some people that it was a tavern and some others say it was Wharton's horse stable? I found an old horseshoe near the site but it could of been from somebody on a horse just exploring.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
wolfspider05 said:
I also just added some pictures of Washington, does anybody know what that was? I hear from some people that it was a tavern and some others say it was Wharton's horse stable? I found an old horseshoe near the site but it could of been from somebody on a horse just exploring.

The tavern was further down the road. The "wall" ruin that is there was a stable. I believe that it predates Wharton, though.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Oh ok thanks for clearing that up for me I was a little confused. I also believe that it predates Wharton, it looks centuries old. I guessing that there is nothing left of the tavern besides a cellar hole? I've noticed that there are cellar holes all around that area.