Mullica From Jackson Road

craig

Aug 29, 2012
Anyone know if its possible to canoe the Mullica down from Jackson Rd. at current levels? Also is there a gauge I can check online for this section if so what level would be considered runnable?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe someone here has done it but it has to be really tough. You would certainly have to portage at the plastic bridge if you want to get to Atsion Lake. And if you stand on the bridge it looks tough both ways.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
A canoe anytime of the year is touch, but doable in higher water levels. Don't attempt it any time soon. A kayak, on the other hand, will fair much better. But its a tough stretch regardless, with lots of lift-overs and what not.

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
I did it once, many years ago. With a saw. Wouldn't do it again - better to put in at Goshen. As low as I've seen flows elsewhere, I can't imagine it doable at present. But a plastic bridge... how long has that been in, and where is it? Shows you how long since I've been in that neck 'o the woods.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
Forget it unless you're good with a chain saw in a kayak. A group tried last summer and didn't get very far. You can put in at Goshen Pond and paddle up about and hour - I did it last year - it was obviously cleared for a distance, but you won't make it to Jackson Road.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
The plastic bridge was a test program by Rutgers University. I call it the milk bottle bridge. There are a lot of plastic milk bottles in the mix. I think it is a special mix of #1, #2 and #6 plastic. They built a couple others but not sure where.

Don

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I did it last in April, 2003. It was not bad at all but this August I wouldn't, no fun. I is on my list to do again with more water. You would spend all of your time fighting the creek and miss the sights.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
P.S. The plastic bridge was built in 2003

They actually started it in October 2002. There even is a posibility it was in late September. I visted there on 9/21/2002 and they had not started but by 10/20/2002 that had. Here is Jessica on 10/20/2002.

Jessica.jpg

By 11/2/2002 they were putting on the decking.

Plasticbridge.jpg

Once it opened someone stole the sign but by 2005 they had a new one. That did not last long either.

Guy

Reactions: Don Catts

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Guy,

nice pictures, your a real shutter bug, you have photos of everything.

After about 8 or 9 years do you think the plastic bridge was a success. It was built to low of course and there is a belly in the middle of the deck. Other than that it was a good recycle project.

Don’t know about the cost? Don

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been surprised it lasted this long. I would have to say it was a success.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have canoed the Mullica from Jackson road and I would say it would be very low now and I would wait till fall rains hopefully bring it up.It is very tight so weather you take a canoe or kayak i would keep the boat short,it is very twisty also.If you take a yak a large cockpit type yak would be best since places to wiggle out for lift overs will be very hard to come by.As mentioned from Goshen pond down is generally quite doable any time of year but the water right now is very low.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Nice photos, Guy. I forgot that it's been there almost 10 years now.

Found this video about the recycled bridge. Interesting how the narrator never tells you where he is or what waterway it's over.

John-

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photos, Guy. I forgot that it's been there almost 10 years now.

Found this video about the recycled bridge. Interesting how the narrator never tells you where he is or what waterway it's over.

John-

The narrator says it took about a week which is not even close. That was at least a three month process.

Guy