New "Crossover" GPS coming soon-check it out...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looks nice! I will be interested i a new one most likely, since mine is having some issues with the screen having lines in it.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
"listen to music and view pictures from wherever you are."

??? They don't give you all the details. The ad certainly needs work.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I know you guys seem to be Garmin fans-does anyone on here use a Magellan?

I had a Magellan Meridian Gold for several years and sold it. It was a nice unit for its day, but the Garmin Legend C had pretty much the same features plus some additional ones I liked better in a much smaller and lighter package. I also don't care for Magellan's topo maps personally. We've discussed this here before... the Magellan maps provide names for most of the little pine barrens sand roads where the Garmin maps often just show a nameless line. But IMO, that's the only advantage to the Magellan maps. They don't show as many elevation contour lines and they also don't indicate swampy areas so well. Many of the little streams seemed missing from their maps, and the contours of larger bodies of water were very crude. I just like the way the Garmin maps look better, but that's my personal preference.

In the car, I have rented Hertz autos with the "Neverlost" GPS system in them, which is their dumbed-down version of the Magellan RoadMate. In its favor, the Magellan is very easy to use. But this is mainly because the unit doesn't do very much. The Garmin StreetPilot is highly customizable and more like a regular GPS whereas the Magellan Roadmate is just a box that gives you directions. The Garmin StreetPilot will let you load the street maps, topo maps and other custom maps and easily toggle between them which is something I really like.

So it depends on what you're looking for I suppose. If you want something which is really easy to use for a non-technical person, then the Magellan is a good choice.

BTW, that Magellan unit looks like it might be a response to several of the newer Garmins which combine GPS and other things in the same package, like the Nuvi: http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi360/

Garmin calls these PTA's - "personal travel assistants". I have never used any of them myself.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will give that a try Jim. I am not sure that will fix it though because this morning that problem was occurring and then the GPS shut off and would not start up. I gave it a hard hit and it came on and worked fine. It seems to be going bad just like my yellow eTrex did. Maybe overuse :)

Guy