Old Train Station ? ? ?

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I came past this old building on my way down Route 40, at an intersection just west of mile marker 15. I found it interesting and took a couple of photos. (I love old buildings)..... anyhow, the following week I was looking at photos of the OLD Atsion train station and I thought..."wow, the building on Route 40 looks just like this."

It looks as if someone is cleaning up around the site. Does anyone know if this building is indeed a train station? If yes, is this the original site? And again, if yes, what is the station?

Thanks.........turtle

101_3858.JPG

101_3856.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has to be! And yes Ben they are nice photo's. Nice work Turtle!

Guy

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
I came past this old building on my way down Route 40, at an intersection just west of mile marker 15. I found it interesting and took a couple of photos. (I love old buildings)..... anyhow, the following week I was looking at photos of the OLD Atsion train station and I thought..."wow, the building on Route 40 looks just like this."

It looks as if someone is cleaning up around the site. Does anyone know if this building is indeed a train station? If yes, is this the original site? And again, if yes, what is the station?

Thanks.........turtle

101_3858.JPG

101_3856.JPG
it's sitting on route 40, 2 miles west of elmer. it was moved there. there are no tracks nearby. i will find out where the farmer got it from.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Ben,
Could it have been moved to the site? I notice now that the foundation looks like new block/cement. There are old and new items stored in the building and the number 244 on the left of the building as you view it. I am trying to look at the maps to see if anything jogs my memory....I recall a street sign reading "____Committee something Rd..?" I also recall that it is a pretty open intersection (farmland) with only a small 1970-ish 1 story home across the street from the south entrance of the building......it was definately cool and there is a rail line not far away. When I look on the topo map there is something (road/rail) that runs right past here with a "substa" at either end.....
Thanks......turtle

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
From your pictures that looks to be the Woodstown Station. It was moved there years ago by a farmer from what I've read. As far as Atsion Staion goes, I read in a historical RR type book that the station was moved to a local farm just down the road. Not sure where exactly it got to, but I'm sure there's a chance it could still be around. I'm sure a search on a satellite website could find it if you looked hard enough (if it's still sitting in a field that is). The Woodstown Station has been talked about a lot since it's nowhere near the tracks. I've been meaning to get some shot's of it for a while now but haven't gotten the chance. Looks like time has taken it's toll. Thanks for the pics of the Elmer station. Elmer used to be a big deal RR-wise with a line going to Bridgeton and a line going towards Alloway down to Salem and now it has neither.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ben,
Could it have been moved to the site? I notice now that the foundation looks like new block/cement. There are old and new items stored in the building and the number 244 on the left of the building as you view it. I am trying to look at the maps to see if anything jogs my memory....I recall a street sign reading "____Committee something Rd..?" I also recall that it is a pretty open intersection (farmland) with only a small 1970-ish 1 story home across the street from the south entrance of the building......it was definately cool and there is a rail line not far away. When I look on the topo map there is something (road/rail) that runs right past here with a "substa" at either end.....
Thanks......turtle

I'm sure it has. Oftentimes you'll be able to find "free" buildings -- all you have to do is move them. There is/was a gun club off Rt. 72 that was moved in from Dix, and then offered up for free if you could move it as well.

Here's a 5000 sq ft. Victorian for $1 - http://www.historicproperties.com/detail.asp?detail_key=ncgle009

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Station is on the corner of Rt. 581 and Rt. 40.

I have driven past this many times myself and always wondered what it was - was thinking I should take some pictures! You are correct about the location, it's the building with the red roof here and not at Turtle's link (sorry :)), http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.63189067076921&lng=-75.25997400283813&z=18&type=h&gpx=

Here's a little closer view: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.as...dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I drove right by that a few weeks back in a funeral procession. I should have noticed it :(

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm sure it has. Oftentimes you'll be able to find "free" buildings -- all you have to do is move them. There is/was a gun club off Rt. 72 that was moved in from Dix, and then offered up for free if you could move it as well.

There is a show on cable that is about just that sort of thing. Pretty amazing stuff. The episode I saw was about moving a brick house in a rainstorm that weighed over 220 tons. Mudboy Dave would have enjoyed it :)

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Yeah, moving those structures seems like a pretty neat thing to watch. I've been told and read most railroads used old rails covered with grease to slide things around into place. And with greased metal surfaces, it doesn't take much effort to move something of size. I was just checking out a lighthouse in North Carolina that was moved about 100 yards from it's original location to get away from the hungry seas. I guess if people can move a hundred and something foot tall brick lighthouse over beach sand, you can move just about anything. And I'm sure with most of the stuff out of a train station, they probably don't weigh all that much. The legal weight for a tractor trailer is around 40 tons so a little 15 ton train station is nothing at all for the right equipment. Would make a neat bus stop out there, although I don't think there would be that many people there to use it.

edivaccaro

Jun 22, 2014
This station was originally in town by the RR tracks. I don't know when it was moved but it has been there as long as I can remember. The Sickler, who owns the passed away last year. His son now owns it. I hope that someone restores the building.