on the road to Carranza

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
There's a little side road on the way to the Carranza memorial, I think it's called Moore's landing or Moore's Mill or something like that. it turns to sand at the end, anyone know where it goes?
Brian

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
Thanks Steve, I took it as far as the asphalt went but didn't want to try any further with my little Saturn, was just curious, maybe I'll come back with the 4x4, thanks again
Brian

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is Moores Meadow road. Make sure you go down there the next time you can. If you come in from Carranza road it is paved, but it changes to dirt and is drivable with a car. It is somewhat like going back in time on that road with the old migrant workers buildings and one especially cool looking old building that reminds you of the old west.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/mm/IMG_3072.jpg

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/mm/IMG_3073.jpg

Just past that there is a grave along a bog, but it is private property and you can't get to the grave without trespassing. They have a bench next to it for whoever to sit at the grave.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/mm/1.jpg

Then the road goes right through the cranberry bogs and it is a wonderful section. It passes right by the Moores Meadow company building that is there.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/mm/2.jpg

It then comes to 532 just a short distance from Apple Pie Hill. So the next time you are coming down 532 from Chatsworth or Apple Pie Hill and want to get to Carranza road, take that route. There is a fork in the road if coming from 532, and the left fork takes you right to a farm. You want the right fork. I took the left to the farm once, but I turned around before the farm, but looking at an aerial photo it appears to continue. It takes you in the woods behind that gun club on the sharp corner before Chatsworth on 532.

Guy

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
very cool thanks Guy, I'll be sure to take it all the way out next time. I came in from Carranza Road and you're right, some of the buildings definately remind ya of being back in time. My wife is from N Carolina and she was amazed by how much it looked like parts of that. I also saw the grave and the bench. I'll get back out there and take it through the cranberry bogs, thanks again

Brian

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
well ive got to take that road soon...beleive it or not my stepfather and i were talking about harrisville this morning...and he mentioned a road that went from tabernacle to chatsworth ...he said it was part paved and part dirt...it goes by some kind of abandoned village...well i just called him.....and he said that it is indeed moores meadow road...what a coincindence....LOL....tom

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Moores Meadow Road

Guy, the photos you took of Moores Meadow are BEAUTIFUL! As far as the road goes (no pun intended), (spelling pun ?? LOL), When you go past the hunting club and small workers houses...making a sharp right will take you to Birches Cranberry Company, once owned by Charles Thompson. (father of Maryann Thompson). Keeping straight will bring you to 532. If you cross over and keep on the dirt road, you will eventually come to Sooy Place. This is where I lived for over 30 years with my parents. (see photos of my dad and Sooy Place in Barry's member gallery). Many piney stories can be told about that place. Futher past Sooy Place will take you to Sooy Road which is tar. Take a right, it will bring you out almost next to the Hedger House in Chatsworth......suresue

Reactions: glowordz

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I went down that road some time ago and became convinced that I was tresspassing when I came to cranberry meadows and I turned around. There were no tresspassing signs but maybe they were meant for the bog portions. People were riding around on ATVs on their property and looking at me funny even though I gave a friendly smile and wave. Before you get on that road from Carranza there is a sign noting a former "Tunking Mill (may be wrong on name). There doesn't seem to be any clue of former activity near the sign unless it was down the trail there which is marked Private. Anyone know anything about that posted site?

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Tunking Mill sign

That sign just showed up there one day out of the blue. I have lived in the area my whole life and never heard of anything like that being there. It would be interesting to do alittle digging into, and see what comes up on the area and the mill. I too went to Birches recently and found the gates around it. Yes, it does look like private property, minus the postings. I was alittle afraid to proceed there as well.
...........suresue...........

P

Pineyprowler

I believe that the sign says "stamping mill". I've walked down the trail behind the sign but I turned around because i am sure that it is private property. I wonder if anybody has any info on this? Thanks

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
No, it definately says something like "Tunking or Thunking Mill" and explains it was named so for the sound it made. Yes, I'm sure they are trying to describe a stamping mill, but they are off in it's name and place it would seem. Someone should contact the appropriate historical source to ask more about this site.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Moores Meadow Road

suresue592003 said:
Guy, the photos you took of Moores Meadow are BEAUTIFUL! As far as the road goes (no pun intended), (spelling pun ?? LOL), When you go past the hunting club and small workers houses...making a sharp right will take you to Birches Cranberry Company, once owned by Charles Thompson. (father of Maryann Thompson). Keeping straight will bring you to 532. If you cross over and keep on the dirt road, you will eventually come to Sooy Place. This is where I lived for over 30 years with my parents. (see photos of my dad and Sooy Place in Barry's member gallery). Many piney stories can be told about that place. Futher past Sooy Place will take you to Sooy Road which is tar. Take a right, it will bring you out almost next to the Hedger House in Chatsworth......suresue

Sue,

Have you seen the historical photos of Sooy Place in the gallery here?

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_album.php

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
So I'm thinking you can still get back to Sooy Place? If it's not private property I may make that my weekend destination.
Brian

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Sooy Place & Birches

I think you guys are alittle confused. Sooy Place is not fenced off. South Park Rd branches off of Sooy Road. On South Park is my old home sitting in the middle of the field. It's an old two story red weathered board house. It too has been known as Sooy Place as well as the tavern site on Sooy Road, where an historic signs stands. It is Birches Cranberry Company which is fenced off. My dad worked there for 33 years, as well as his brother. When you travel down Moores Medow Rd from Carranza Rd...make a sharp right when you come to a T in the road. This is after passing the blueberry fields and hunting club on the left....Sue...

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Sooy Place & Birches

suresue592003 said:
I think you guys are alittle confused. Sooy Place is not fenced off. South Park Rd branches off of Sooy Road. On South Park is my old home sitting in the middle of the field. It's an old two story red weathered board house. It too has been known as Sooy Place as well as the tavern site on Sooy Road, where an historic signs stands. It is Birches Cranberry Company which is fenced off. My dad worked there for 33 years, as well as his brother. When you travel down Moores Medow Rd from Carranza Rd...make a sharp right when you come to a T in the road. This is after passing the blueberry fields and hunting club on the left....Sue...

Sue, two years ago my exploring club set out to find the source of the Basto River starting behind the boot camp. I think we left our cars right down the road from that red house. Is it on the road that goes from Sooy Road to Moores Meadow Road? As we walked by the house, I could swear there was a woman in an old time beehive hairdo from the fifties watching me from the second story window. She was very still.

I sent a letter to The Birches Cranberry company and asked if we could walk on their property. To my surprise, they graciously agreed. The gun club next to them just about told me to go to hell.

P

Pineyprowler

Yes, it was called a tunking mill, I think that it got the name from the hammer like noises that it made. I am really not sure. I've noticed that after carranza road turns into dirt about a mile or so to the right there are a few old foundations in the woods. Does anybody know anything on this? Thanks

Reactions: glowordz