Pinehurst or Pinewald?

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
In a recent thread (don't recall which one...) I mentioned a place my dad had told me about that was a moonshiner's location back in prohibition and which I'd visited many years later on a herping expedition. Some of you suggested it might be near Bayville - a name I didn't recall.
I still don't recall Bayville, but think it was somewhere near Toms River and in the middle of a conversation on a totally different topic with my wife I blurted out: "Pinewald; could it be Pinewald and not Pinehurst?"

After assuring her that I'd not finally rounded the bend I vowed to check with you all to set me straight, if, indeed, I need to be so set...

So:

Pinehurst or Pinewald?
Is there a railroad track or old rail bed closeby?
Is it not far from Toms River?

OK, guys, eddicate me. A failing memory is unfortunate, but I'm not at all snsitive to the fact that it is happening, so lemmeno the facts!

Dave

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Dave,

The convalescent center is the building on the West side of the oval lake in the lower left corner of the photo:

http://terraserver-usa.org/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=18&X=1424&Y=11041&W=3

The old train tracks (I'm pretty certain) are at the end of the road that runs due east from the center of the oval. Not at the "T", but right before the T. It looks like a grassy road. Here is a wider view. With Terraserver you can visit the pines anytime. I do believe this area is Pinewald.

http://terraserver-usa.org/image.aspx?T=1&S=13&Z=18&X=356&Y=2760&W=3

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Yeah, Bob -

I think you're right.
I wish you weren't, but I'm sure you are.

When I stop and collect my thoughts and think about it I know that I shouldn't be surprised at all the streets and houses ...
But ... oh ... my ... God...

Whew!

I was going to ask someone for the coordinates of or around Asa Pittman's place at Hannover - Upton - whatever - that stretch of Rt 70 -, but I think I'll pass on it, for this evening at least.

Dave

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
O.K., Bob-
I logged off, sat quietly, and studied a strong dram of single malt; two, actually.

Got back online, went to terraserve ( that's an unbelievable resourse! Can't thank you enough for it!) went to Lakehurst, and took a slow drive SE on 70 to Upton. It appears as if the abandoned tracks of the Penn central (didn't know what the line was, but that's what the topo map says) are no more and that the highway overpass has been leveled. Right?
There's a new (as far as I'm concerned) house a bit west of where Asa's house stood, and the house of Truman?/Freeman Taylor(?) "just up the tracks" is gone. Is that new house where the aggressive dog is?

Time sure as Hell don't stand still, do it?

Any idea when that development to the NW of Asa's on the NE side of the old railbed was built? That "lake" sits, I believe, over a bit of wetland/slough that was an expansion of the small creek that ran thru there. And I'm really curious if the new locals have any tales of rattlers in that immediate area?

Thanks for the link to Terraserve-usa. You're right, I can sort-of virtually visit a bunch of old haunts! This evening I spent some time along the Wading River south of Harrisville and Martha's Furnace, as well, and was bothered by nary a "green-head" or deer fly!

Best t'ye,
Dave

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Dave,
the tracks are still there, for the most part (regarding upton). they sit on the far eastern side of the wide dirt "road" that appears on terraserver. I didn't check that area on terraserver in a while but I imagine they are hidden by trees along that edge. There is no overpass with route 70 anymore but 70 sits significantly elevated above the upton area. The area below 70 has been filled in. The aggessive dog is at the house on the SW side of the tracks where Asa would have been. The house on the NE side is not really so much a house as a business called ON Trax Hobbies. I think it is for electric car racing or something. I never see anybody there. They may not be in business anymore. The development NE of Upton is called Country Lakes. It is pretty substantial as you saw on terraserver. Fortunitly, the land to the SE and SW of the development is all state forest property now. Check your PM and I will give you more info.

Jeff

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
The satellite view with Google maps of Upton are more recent than those with Terraserve. The first house immediately to the W of the railbed and N of Rt. 70 sits on the site of Asa's old place - or at least overlaps the SE corner of Asa's house/cabin.
What amazing views!
Dave

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There is a road that goes right into Upton from 70 - called Upton Station Rd.

There are several modern houses there as well. I never spent any time searching around the area since people lived there.

Edit: I fixed the link, too. Google, not goggle. :)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Google, duh! Thanks Ben. Yeah, Dave, It is funny I always figured that the house W of the tracks was where Asa Pittmans' would have been. I don't know why I thought that it just seemed logical. I have an old photo of Asa's cabin in one of my books and I wondered if that house wasn't an improvement to the cabin, or was built over the cabin.

cabletrash

Jul 10, 2005
Texas
Pinewald

Pinewald is the name and it is in Berkely Township near Bayville and Tom's River. I went to school there. There was a railroad going through it (Jersey Central). The building that BobM mentioned is now Bayview nursing home. Formerly pinehaven nursing home and also pinehurst nursing home and originally the Royal Pines hotel. The lake in front of the building is crystal lake and the road heading east was the main road leading to the hotel from the railroad station which was still there the last time I was in the area. The hotel was built in the early 20's as a hide away vacation resort. The land that pinewald occupies was almost completely a part of the old resort. It contained a boat house on the lake, a boat house and pavillion on Barnaget bay in Bayvile, a dance pavillion, golf course, a bath house on cedar creek which we used to call the spanish mansion, hiking trails, hunting trips etc. It was quite an operation. A lot of money was spent to lure rich New Yorkers down there but the great depression sent it into bankruptcy. The nine story building was designed by William Sanger, husband of women's advocate Margret Sanger. When I was a kid rumour had it that Al Capone used the place as a hide out but I doubt it. It was also said that a tunnel went out under the lake and they used to keep and serve booze there during prohibition. There is a tunnel there, but it only goes from the building's boiler room to beneath the boat house across the street. (I used to work there) It has a main room down there and some smaller rooms so the speakeasy part could be true.:guinness:
Dom

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Thanks, Dom, for a wonderfully comprehensive history of the place. So, among its names over time have been both "Pinehurst" and "Pinewald". Thanks to you I've regained a bit or regard for my long-term memory -as well as for my Dad's!

And where in Texas be ye? I lived there (for 11 years, 8 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days...)

Many thanks,
Dave

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Cool pictures! Around 1972 I lived on Station Rd in Bayville, about a mile from that place. I heard the stories about Al Capone too. I also heard that one of the sales pitches to lure people there was that the air was full of ozone which was good for your health! :)

cabletrash

Jul 10, 2005
Texas
Your welcome for post. I now live in Seminole TX. It's in west texas half way between Lubbock and Midland. When I left Bayville I lived in Alaska for 11 yrs then moved back for 3yrs and it was so over populated I had to get out. The south jersey I new as a kid is long gone unfortunately.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
early pix of Pinehurst-wald

Bob-
Great pix of the early development of the Pinehurst/Pinewald area. I'm still being amazed at the resources available on this site. Ben and others have done, and continue to do, one helluva job!
Many thanks,
Dave

BobM said: