Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Again, did you read my long post? Because it has pretty clear explanations, based in fact, on why increased traffic to these sites is not good for their longevity.

In any event, you've made your opinion known. You're in the minority here, and I doubt that you'll change anybody's mind, just as I know I won't change your mind. I'm happy that you're interested in history, and you're certainly free to run your websites/social media sites as you see fit and let whomever know about these places. Whatever happens is on your conscious, not mine.

Sorry the dwarf pines were disappointing. Compared to regular pitch pines they're small, but when you're out there they still seem taller than what they ought to be.

I understand that more traffic is no good for hopes of keeping the ruins around, however, its a catch 22. why worry about the ruins if no one looks at them, however when more people go to see them, you run the risk of morons feeling the need to destroy them. I get it. however educating people will always be better than not educating them. I feel as though many people have no pride in our state of nj and the point of my site is to remind people that there are beautiful pieces of history all around us and to stop saying theyre bored and start getting outside and exploring. I apologize for calling anyone an oldhead. I was just offended that someone was equating my youth to a lack of intelligence/understanding.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I understand that more traffic is no good for hopes of keeping the ruins around, however, its a catch 22. why worry about the ruins if no one looks at them, however when more people go to see them, you run the risk of morons feeling the need to destroy them. I get it. however educating people will always be better than not educating them. I feel as though many people have no pride in our state of nj and the point of my site is to remind people that there are beautiful pieces of history all around us and to stop saying theyre bored and start getting outside and exploring. I apologize for calling anyone an oldhead. I was just offended that someone was equating my youth to a lack of intelligence/understanding.

I've been going to Brooksbrae since the late 90s. A lot of people have been going there to see it. It's not some well hidden away sort of thing. Up until an archaeologist (who is a member of this site) did his PhD thesis on the site there was very little known about the history of the place. If other places are destroyed, looted, or vandalized, how much history will be lost to future generations of archaeologists and historians?

I agree with you about educating people. That's the point of this site. People can come here, ask questions, and learn things. For the most part, you just need to do a little digging and some research to find the locations of nearly every Pine Barrens ghost town. Sure, I suppose it's much easier to just come in and ask other people to do the work for you, but is that really any fun? Where's the sense of discovery?

We both agree that folks don't have pride in the state of NJ. I've just seen, firsthand, how destructive people who have no pride in our history can be. I want to make sure that as much of the history of the Pine Barrens stays around for future generations to enjoy.

Since we're apologizing, I'm sorry about calling you out based on your age. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.