Railroad tracks from Woodmansie to Lakehurst

Buck

Scout
Jan 23, 2007
Whiting
Hello all. I am new to forum, but just moved to Whiting/Pasadena area and found this site.
This might be in the wrong place, but I am wondering whether anyone knows why they are clearing the abandoned tracks that run parallel to Pasadena Road from Woodmansie, across 539, and into Lakehurst. Trees have been cut all along the line, and I saw on a railroad forum that there are rumors the Clayton company wants to reinstate rail service from their sand mine in Woodmansie.
Anyone know anything?

Buck

Scout
Jan 23, 2007
Whiting
Interesting. Not sure how to feel about this. It would alleviate truck traffic/pollution, but what other effects?

Buck

Scout
Jan 23, 2007
Whiting
Maybe, maybe not. The Mayor's office in Manchester tells me that they know of no plans to reinstate service, and that owners of inactive railways are required by law to perform periodic maintenance and debris removal as a condition of continued ownership.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Maybe, maybe not. The Mayor's office in Manchester tells me that they know of no plans to reinstate service, and that owners of inactive railways are required by law to perform periodic maintenance and debris removal as a condition of continued ownership.

That is what I heard as well. However, it only takes one huge contract for Clayton to need to get sand elsewhere in NJ quickly, and I am sure those rails will be used again, if it makes financial sense.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If they owned it they did not do maintenance of the tracks all these years, so they should no longer be the owners. But apparently they are since they are cutting trees.

It seems to me that with the new homes that have sprung up along that line since the last time it was used, there would be some sort of objection to it from those residents. They must know at least what we do that something is happening there. The mayor must also know something, maybe even the fact that we are dead wrong. But saying they knew nothing about it seems peculiar.

From a personal standpoint I think those tracks are in serious need of maintenance, and carrying something as heavy as sand would put a tremendous burden on the rotting rails. Can you imagine if one of them derailed? With that thought I am starting to believe that we will never see trains on that line again. I actually always though that, but this tree cutting gave me some small doubts.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
If they owned it they did not do maintenance of the tracks all these years, so they should no longer be the owners. But apparently they are since they are cutting trees.

It seems to me that with the new homes that have sprung up along that line since the last time it was used, there would be some sort of objection to it from those residents. They must know at least what we do that something is happening there. The mayor must also know something, maybe even the fact that we are dead wrong. But saying they knew nothing about it seems peculiar.

From a personal standpoint I think those tracks are in serious need of maintenance, and carrying something as heavy as sand would put a tremendous burden on the rotting rails. Can you imagine if one of them derailed? With that thought I am starting to believe that we will never see trains on that line again. I actually always though that, but this tree cutting gave me some small doubts.

Guy

Guy,

Yes - Plenty of maintenance on those tracks will be required. Not just ballast either.

We have heard from a very reliable source that Clayton will be using rail to ship once again. I has inquired about the tracks many years ago and a state worker, who was in the area, told me that Clayton had once inquired about rail service in the early 90s but that it was too costly.

Here's a little something on the UTC in case you're interested:

http://www.railfan.net/lists/rshsdepot-digest/200611/msg00013.html

Y-BUC-BILL

Explorer
Mar 9, 2007
Teegate:There was a derailment some years ago when the rail service was in use.I have some pics somewhere.Once when the train went through Chatsworth they had a problem with the engine back-firing.Set the woods on fire.It was a major fire and burned for a while.

lost soul

Scout
Mar 4, 2007
Pitman
Teegate:There was a derailment some years ago when the rail service was in use.I have some pics somewhere.Once when the train went through Chatsworth they had a problem with the engine back-firing.Set the woods on fire.It was a major fire and burned for a while.
I recently purchased some USGS maps from a store in Marlon. When I went to check out the gentleman behind the counter said"Woodmansie there was a locomotive half buried in the sand out there". He wasn't sure if it was still there. Is this the derailment you mentioned Y Buc Bill?

Buck

Scout
Jan 23, 2007
Whiting
I see that a rail line is trying to get this rail line up and running again. The Manchester Town Council was looking to support the application.

lakesgirl

Explorer
Jan 3, 2010
collings lakes

Guy[/QUOTE]

we had an interesting situation in collings lakes. a few years ago one of our sand pits boosted opporations and started using the tracks again running from winslow junction to where ever it is they go. they replaced the rails and the ties...however, nobody did anything about the trestle that crosses hospitality creek/lake. a train leaving the pit heading to wj fully loaded with sand caused the trestle to collaspe. so for a couple of years while the state, township and owner of the mine and tracks tries to figure out who was at fault. i'm sure there was alot of finger pointing to see who's fault it was 3 cars sat in the lake and in the remaing part of the trestle . they finally removed the cars and repaired the trestle. never found out who 's responsibility it was. pure craziness.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
As too the Woodsmansie section - it wouldn't be too bad, but still very costly. At least there's not too many bridges, just a bunch of small pipe culverts. The amount of new ties, new crossing signals, and heavier rail to replace that old 90 lb. that I believe is still in there would be the majority of the cost. I'm sure if NJT joined in the project with some funding that would really help things out.

The hospitality creek crash was pretty crazy. The sand is still in the lake from it. They left the Egg Harbor River trestle in there but reinforced it with a bunch of pile driven I-beams. The next trestle just past the Hospitality Creek one was also rebuilt and re-inforced in hopes of connecting with freight in Vineland. I think they ran the trains from Winslow to Landisville once or twice.

dominick minneci

Aug 19, 2011
Clayton Sand got grant funding from to start making improvement to the line through Whiting. They finished up the Diamond Road crossing last month, and are scheduled to start rehab on the Rt 530 crossing on Monday August 19th. I have not yet found a plan outlining the use of the line.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Dominick,

Thanks for the info. I may be wrong but did you forget to add a word in after "funding from?"

Guy