Sad Hanover News.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was suspicious of that when we were there. I was looking around for it when most of you moved on. I say this because my very first interest in the pines was the photo I saw of the mill stone at Martha, and the photo Ariadne posted of the stone brought back those memories.

Yet another stone of the Hanover history is gone. I am always too late!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Maybe the guy who stole it accidently drove off the road into a cranberry bog on the way home. He would have gotten out, but there was something that fell on him underwater and held him down. It was big and white, and he died before he could get out from under it.

:jd:

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I am not too informed on gristmills and how they work and all, but I am guessing that the stone is the circular stone, like a wheel. I've seen a pic in Beck's book I think it was of the stone that was at Martha, which I guess is gone now also, I am guessing somebody got to it. Then I was thinking about Harrisville, there was a mill there too and I am guessing that the stone there was also taken. I have never been to Hanover but I guess I will never get to see that stone now either. Some people always have to ruin it for everybody else.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
These are millstones:

normal_aas.jpg

normal_aar.jpg

They are from Howell Iron Works. As you can see, they are quite large. Chances are, the reason why we don't see them at Harrisville is that Wharton likely sold them when he bought the property. Most millstones are large and hard to transport.

You can also see that the grist mill at Batsto had large stones:

http://www.hoganphoto.com/batsto_grist_mill.htm

Here's another site showing how a gristmill works:

http://www.angelfire.com/journal/millrestoration/addition.html

So, the $20,000 is, where are the LARGE stones from Hanover? And what was the small stone that we saw used for? (I don't have a picture of it from that day so I can't post it.)

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Hanover's impacts?

I found Hanover quite by accident yesterday, and was confused by the signs posted there. Perhaps someone can explain....anyone removing anything will be prosecuted due to the historical natural (the digging). OK, but since the area was poorly fenced off, does that mean it is ok to just walk around and look? I would think not considereing what is going on there?? And lets not forget the numerous Fort Dix signs, "No Tresspassing, Impact Area". So who is in charge here? How can impacts continue with the digs going on? I wonder how well these two parties are working together? Think of the years of impacts and how this must have affected the site.
Considering the missing item, has anyone heard anything more on it?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I think it's more of a "really remote chance that something may impact the area but we put signs up so you can't sue us."

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I think the area really is off-limits to civillians anyway.