Schmung road

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just noticed this on the 1949 topo yesterday (funny how I can still find new things on this old map).

https://boydsmaps.com/#14.00/39.685469/-74.411793/pines1949/0.00/0.00

screenshot.png

That name doesn't appear on any other map I've seen. First thought was just a mis-spelling of "Shamong", but this is in a different place. Shamong Rd isn't on the old topo maps, but it appears here on the newer legacy 24k topo's. The legacy topo doesn't show any name at all for Schmung Road.

I have Schmung Road labelled as "Andrews Road" on my topo map. The USGS topo shows Andrews as a paved road until the intersection with Allen Road, so I assumed that the unpaved section continued as Andrews.

I don't see any other mention of Schmung Rd here at NJPB, Google finds a few places named "Hotel Schmung" other spammy looking foreign links. The Urban Dictionary has two meanings, this one might be the best :D

schmung
the overwhelming stimulation or "high" one experiences from the use of cocaine, adderall or caffeine.
Did you notice how schmung Trevor was when he came out of the bathroom?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don’t remember seeing that before but I will check some of the maps I have.

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I envision the mapmaker calling someone in NJ to confirm over the phone, and he heard it wrong, or the guy on the other end was illiterate.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Old Schmung Rd?

Good catch, I did not connect that before. So, Andrews Road is called "Old Schmung Road" on the 1949 map. "Old North Green Street Road" (quite mouth full!) is also on the 24k topo.

This sort of makes me think that it's just a different spelling of "Shamong" and the current location of Shamong Road might actually be "New Schmung Road".

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Good catch, I did not connect that before. So, Andrews Road is called "Old Schmung Road" on the 1949 map. "Old North Green Street Road" (quite mouth full!) is also on the 24k topo.

This sort of makes me think that it's just a different spelling of "Shamong" and the current location of Shamong Road might actually be "New Schmung Road".
Agreed. Old Shamong Road

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
A) the overwhelming stimulation or "high"

That was also quoted in my first post. :)

Thinking about this, Chatsworth is literally Old Shamong. If you follow Old Schmung Road Northwest, it intersects with what is now Chatsworth Road (although un-named on the 1949 Topo). So, I'm gonna go with the idea that this is the old road to Shamong (or maybe the road to Old Shamong?) but with a corrupted spelling. Maybe people used to pronounce Shamong like "Schmung"?

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Kind of like calling Philadelphia "Full'elphia"? :D

I was on the faculty at the State University of NY at Oswego for many years. Local people would often pronounce Oswego like "Sweego", dropping the "O" from the beginning. I believe there's a Swago Road in the Pines somewhere, and I wondered if that was also a corruption of "Oswego".

Reactions: bobpbx
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Kind of like calling Philadelphia "Full'elphia"? :D

I was on the faculty at the State University of NY at Oswego for many years. Local people would often pronounce Oswego like "Sweego", dropping the "O" from the beginning. I believe there's a Swago Road in the Pines somewhere, and I wondered if that was also a corruption of "Oswego".
As I recall, the earliest references to Oswego actually spell it "Swago."

Edit: I'm talking about our Oswego

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Old deeds call the swamp just off of 563 and 679 Swago swamp.