Small Tree in Tabernacle

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here's an odd one for you. I think I have it nailed down to the genus, but it has two features that are not matching up with what it keys to. It's somewhat fragrant, and the leaflets are sessile on the rachis, meaning, they have no small subpetiole, it's attached right to the stem of the leaf. Not only that, it's in the wrong habitat if it's what I think it keys to.

1721092320475.png

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Staghorn has very hairy twigs (like a buck in velvet, hence the name). I'm going with R. glabra. I don't see that much where I am. Usually any sumacs I find are copallina.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Staghorn has very hairy twigs (like a buck in velvet, hence the name). I'm going with R. glabra. I don't see that much where I am. Usually any sumacs I find are copallina.
That sounds good to me. I didn't see it in my book. But in was hidden in the text of the Staghorn.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm not sure this is odd, but I'll start with is. Rhus typhina (Staghorn Sumac). Just a guess.
Ron, your suggestion was good, and it made me realize I was barking up the wrong tree (barking up the wrong tree...good one, right?). I thought it was an Ash, and so that's why I could not nail it down...it just didn't fit. I think I have it now, but I don't think it's a sumac at all. Here's a photo of a couple leaves and the surface of the rachis and leaflet junctions.
1721138076448.png
aalll.JPG

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
To stay with an Ash, or rule it out, I don't believe it's a white or green. The 9 leaflets in your original photo, could be a black ash. The leaves of a black ash are attached right at the stem. The other two not. If it is a Black that would be a good find. It is a S3. They are normally found in a wet habitat.

Are we ruling out sumac and ash. If so, I will continue. Looking at the micro photo, the bottom of leaf looks rounded and off centered were it attaches to the stem. What tree are you barking at? I believe that saying gets over used,

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Let me asked this first. It is considered a tree with pinnately compound leaves, Also, did you find this tree on someones front lawn in Tabernacle?
Yes, it is a tree, and it's leaves are odd-pinnate. Odd-pinnate means there is a single terminal leaflet versus ending with two, as in Ailanthus, which is simply pinnate or evenly pinnate. And no, it's not on a lawn per se. It's right here:

1721153067461.png

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Very good Ron. What feature nailed it down for you.
With only the photo of the leaf and not the nut, it could be 1 of 6 species that is found in Burlington County. Since one is Sand Hickory, and there is sand in Tabernacle, in addition, you used the word "odd", I'll decided to made that my last guess. Nothing to lose.

"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world" -John Muir When one goes out hiking in te Pines, a new experience awaits.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
With only the photo of the leaf and not the nut, it could be 1 of 6 species that is found in Burlington County. Since one is Sand Hickory, and there is sand in Tabernacle, in addition, you used the word "odd", I'll decided to made that my last guess. Nothing to lose.

"Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world" -John Muir When one goes out hiking in te Pines, a new experience awaits.
I like your approach. By the way, if you look at the closeup, you'll see the hairs and yellowish scales that make this species unique (well, maybe not the scales, you'd have to look at the zoom scope).