The Aserdaten Tract Location

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Over the years many of us have taken an interest in Aserdaten just as Beck did years ago. Unfortunately, for Beck he relied mostly on others to help him with his quest. Today, we have it much easier, but the question still remains....where is the Aserdaten Tract? Well, I believe I can finally answer that question and in the coming months and years I am hoping to add more to this thread. In the mean time I will lay out the facts that I have and as I see them, and you can be the judge on the truth. So make sure you have a little time and lets begin.

The Aserdaten Tract is a real tract of land consisting of 1400 acres that was recorded in 1796 in Book X page 253 Board of Proprietors, Western Division, Burlington.

I believe this document was transcribed by Elizabeth Morgan and bobpbx made me a copy.

Aserdaten.jpg

Let look at a particular portion of the document. It states in part... "BEGINNING at a stake in the mouth of a small branch called Cherry Valley Branch where it empties into the Main South Branch of Cedar Creek called Chamberlain's Branch."

The answer to the question of where the Cherry Valley Branch actually is has frustrated and eluded me for quite some time; however, recently while looking over some old maps I have had for years, I discovered this one that mentions the Cherry Valley Branch, and with a little knowledge of the area it tells me it's location.

They spell it "Vale" and not Valley. Maybe that is the correct spelling but until I know differently I will use Valley. They may have abbreviated it. This map is rotated for easier viewing of the text.

CVB.jpg

So we now know the "mouth" of the Cherry Valley Branch meets the Chamberlain about 3/4 of a mile ENE of 539.

aerial_map.jpg

Lets go back to the Aserdaten document again. It states that the stake is at the mouth of the Cherry Valley Branch where it EMPTIES into the Chamberlain which is basically where they meet in the center of the cedar swamp. So from that stake which is the beginning, it then states the tract line turns up the Cherry Valley Branch "(1) South eleven degrees and Thirty minutes east 18 chains (1188 feet)."

After looking that over I realized that I had found a stone up the Cherry Valley Branch years ago about 1188 feet from where the stake would have been. So I checked the GPS coordinates and you can see here the distance from the mouth of the Cherry Valley Branch to the stone I found along the steep valley which is about where the survey says the first location should be.

distance.jpg

Here is the stone which is almost exactly the distance mentioned in the Aserdaten document. I believe this is location 1.

stone.JPG

Now that I ended up with what I believe to be the first location and have an exact GPS coordinate, I then was able to start calculating where the rest of the tract would be. As I have mentioned before the declination changes over the years for magnetic north, and since we are dealing with 1796 we are going pretty far back in time. So by looking over a few websites that calculate declination for specific years I came up with almost exactly a 10 degree difference for our area from 1796 to 2012. So I took each course mentioned on the Aserdaten document and went CCW 10 degrees. So for example if it says South 24 15 East I made it South 34 15 East. I then calculated each and every course and in no time at all I had the Aserdaten tract completed.

Back to the Aserdaten Document. We know where it starts and lets read where it ends. It basically states ..."(12) North forty six degrees and thirty minutes West one hundred and twenty eight chains and eighty links to said Chamberlain branch, thence UP THE SAID CHAMBERLAIN BRANCH THE SEVERAL COURSES THEREOF TO THE PLACE OF BEGINNING."

This means that the last upland course meets the Chamberlain, and the rest of the tract then follows the Chamberlain upstream back to the stake at the beginning. And after doing all of the calculating the last land course meets up almost EXACTLY with the property line of the Eureka Gun Club at the Chamberlain Branch. Take notice of that in one of the below photo's where I point it out.

For the first time I am confident this is the Aserdaten Tract. Notice the location of Aserdaten is right in the middle of the tract directly above #7 at the road.

Click these maps to make them larger or click the link under them to view the maps themselves

aerial_A.jpg

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04282012_Aserdaten/aerial_A.jpg

aerial_B.jpg

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04282012_Aserdaten/aerial_B.jpg

aerial3.jpg

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04282012_Aserdaten/aerial3.jpg

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Guy, 'vale' is an old European term meaning valley with a stream. From your description, it sounds more accurate for the location than 'valley'. There are several towns in NJ that have the term vale as part of their name.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Guy,

Vales and dales are old English names for broad, shallow, round-headed depressions attributed to unusual conditions of erosion, usually in association with cold, non-glacial or periglacial regimes. England was also ice marginal, sharing South Jersey's periglacial heritage. Early settlers would have easily recognized the similarities. These are a form of cripple, the local name for intermittent stream channels or periglacial dells that I always talk about. Cherry Vale, if correctly marked, matches this description. The earliest “Aserdaten” might just be near the best water source (e.g., cluster of spungs, a strong spring), one where old trails meet on the 1931 aerial photomosaics.

Also see:

Spung-Man

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a very steep valley or vale at this location.

Guy

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
There is a very steep valley or vale at this location. Guy

Is there a broad, flat depression to the south of the narrow channel (yellow dash below on old aerial)? If so, then that is what is often referred to as a "spoon-shaped" vale. Specifically it is the broad upper portion that is the vale. It is a little difficult to make out the exact shape remotely and needs ground-truthing.

Page-01.jpeg
Cheers,
Mark

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mark, I suppose a "flat" in the pines can be a word used to describe anything where the same plane is maintained over some distance great enough to be noticed. But I see this type of photo indication more of as a change in vegetation due to the gathering of waters to build to a stream in a highlands (so to speak). My memory tells me I've been there, and what you really see is not a flat but a downward sloping valley with sides that angle up on both sides.

Cherry.PNG

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Thanks Bob,

Perhaps I should have used "flattened," as in how a spoon widens out. The channel seems to narrow towards the north. Does the narrow section, that towards Chamberlain Branch, cut through sandy ground?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is no sand along it's edges towards the Chamberlain. It is full of vegetation on all sides that is very hard to get through. I was looking for a stone in the branch yesterday which I did not find so I failed to take photo's of the place. However, I have one from 2006 at the (1) stone that shows the area around it. You can see the downward slope to the vale starting. This would be just above your marked area Spung-Man.

Area_View.JPG

Guy

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
Very cool! I all ways just thought of Aserdaten just being that cellar hole along Jones Rd. I read Beck's account but it didn't say much. Thanks for your work!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Bob,

Perhaps I should have used "flattened," as in how a spoon widens out. The channel seems to narrow towards the north. Does the narrow section, that towards Chamberlain Branch, cut through sandy ground?

Mark,

I don't think you even see a flow, or water pooled until you are well beyond the road that this cripple crosses. And in there, it is a gum maple swamp. Not that there isn't sand underneath the duff common in those swamps...but sand is probably not evident on the top.

Now you and Guy have me interested in going the whole distance some day!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

There is water flowing down it now after the rian. I crossed the stream at Dutchman's Road and we needed our knee highs.

map.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is a huge valley especially towards the Chamberlain. Jessica had problems walking on the sides of it so she went down and walked the swamp.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Fascinating! Excellent detective work!

I'm still curious why it's called the "Aserdaten" tract, though. I wonder who owned it before the Reeves. (I'm assuming that the document is spelling out the survey for a sale or transfer of ownership from the three Reeves to Foster, Hollinshead, and Stokes.)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very impressive work, Guy!!! Great presentation also. As this study progresses, you should publish it.
1) how did you initially learn of the location 1 corner stone? You mentioned that you found it years ago.
2) echoing Ben's comment, I also wonder where the name Asterdaten came from? I know Beck and others had theories. The previous owner of the tract? That would mean the tract is very very old.
3)So we are still assuming that any structure at Asterdaten might still be limited to the known celler holes correct? I don't recall any documentation, or rumor that there were more structure at Asterdaten.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

I learned of the stone when I acquired the 1959 survey of the Greenwood Forest in that area. It is a hugh map that covers my queen size bed. I have to walk around the bed to view it properly. You may have viewed it once when I opened it up on the hood of my car.

It covers a massive amount of property from Old Half Way, to Cedar Bridge, and includes most of the Chamberlain except the Black stones side, the Webb's Mill branch, the Union Clay area, part of Howardsville, the Lawrence Line, etc. This particular stone has a survey line from it all the way to near the sawmill behind Barnegat Wreckers that you discovered. It was a very important location at one time.

You can see the Greenwood Survey on HistoricAerials. Most people don't realize that most of the roads in the Union Clay, 539, and the Chamberlain and Webb's Mill area were made and or improved by the surveyors of the 1959 Greenwood survey. You still can see evidence of the survey on the trees right by the beaver dam at Webb's Mill. And on 539 just north of 72 you can see one of the survey monuments on the side of the road almost completely exposed.

1956.jpg

And in 1963 you can see what they did 4 years before.

1959.jpg

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That stone you used to pin it down I have listed as the Clayton Newbold stone.Was he prior to Aserdaten tract or a later owner of adjoining property?I believe if you pin that btract down exactly and hit the corners you may find some surprises??? :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I called it the Clayton Newbold stone because the survey line from there to behind Barnegat Wreckers went to the Clayton Newbold stone that is no longer there. I had no idea at the time what the stone was for.

Guy