What is this place?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will search more later today and try to find that post.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I was just curious. I know in 1936 there was a burnover in Chatsworth and Bass River. And in 1977 bass River again I vaguely remember that one as I was pretty young. I thought there was another in the 50's but I can't find it now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I will search more later today and try to find that post.

I can't find it. I know there is a thread where it is mentioned 2 FFS members died. How true that is I don't know.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I can't find it. I know there is a thread where it is mentioned 2 FFS members died. How true that is I don't know.

If someone has a desire to find out, they might try NJFFS Division B.

Division B
Brendan T. Byrne
P.O. Box 239
New Lisbon, NJ 08064
Phone: (609) 726-9010

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I have never heard of fireman dying in Greenwood. Bass river off stage road there was a few firefighters who lost their lives battling a blaze. There is a memorial.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I think is skipped forward to the Dude Fire in Arizona. The Bass River fire of 77 was one that changed the way fairground communications were handled so everyone was operating on the same frequency. It's crazy to think it wasn't always the case prior.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All I remember is 46ers photo is in it and the deaths were mentioned. It was a long time ago I believe.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
smoke-jumper
Thanks for the fire link.
I was told the men died off Oswego Rd, on a relatively straight dead end road, it actually looks like a push line rd. Apparently the men died on the Allen rd side of the West Br. It was said there was no road near the fire truck, I imagine they got in there off Allen rd by "bulldogging" with the brush truck?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
smoke-jumper
Thanks for the fire link.
I was told the men died off Oswego Rd, on a relatively straight dead end road, it actually looks like a push line rd. Apparently the men died on the Allen rd side of the West Br. It was said there was no road near the fire truck, I imagine they got in there off Allen rd by "bulldogging" with the brush truck?

It was speculated that they broke their antenna plowing through the woods. I think they even mentioned it in the video. I was also led to believe they never anchored their starting point. Basically operating with one tire in the black and got too far down on the flank. So they had green woods in either side (very bad place to be). The photo showing the truck is an amazing shot. You can actually see how the crown fire rolled over as it grew.