Where is the Shrouds house??

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
The Shrouds House was a birthing house in Leeds Point in the 1600's. Some of the JD legends put his birth there. The actual location of the house was down past where Moss Mill and Leeds Point Rds are.

Turtle is right. Although the property may no longer be private property (I am fairly certain it was purchased by the township not too long ago) there is nothing to see. The spot is only a depression in the ground and is so overgrown with thorns you cannot even see the depression anymore.

Sorry to disappoint.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
The Shrouds House was a birthing house in Leeds Point in the 1600's. Some of the JD legends put his birth there. The actual location of the house was down past where Moss Mill and Leeds Point Rds are.

Turtle is right. Although the property may no longer be private property (I am fairly certain it was purchased by the township not too long ago) there is nothing to see. The spot is only a depression in the ground and is so overgrown with thorns you cannot even see the depression anymore.

Sorry to disappoint.

When my kid's were little we would go by that area after we went to Forsythe NWR. I usually tried to leave as it was getting dark. I told them it was the old house where Leeds point Road tuned left out into the marsh (I think someone still lives there), and then I'd tell a spooky story about the JD on the way home. All fun times.
Greg

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
That house is an old ramshackle house, but, yes, someone does live there. It is a little ways away from where the actual birthing house was. There is not much room to park near either place and the neighborhood people really do not like it when people go there looking for the "house". I know a couple of people in the neighborhood and they complain about it all the time...

Aug 6, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
Where is the depression

Thanks, so you're saying where the Shrouds house was is just a depression in the ground now? Where along the road should I walk in? Like I know theres a paved bike trail on moss mill road, should I go to the left or right or it? Info like that would help alot. We made the mistake of just looking the woods at night when it was real dark. Also, you mentioned theres another popular idea of where it was born? How can I get to this other place?

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I am sorry if I misled you, but I am recommending that you do NOT go looking for the Shroud House. There is no convenient place to "walk in". It is a very small, overgrown patch of land. And it is nowhere near the paved trail you speak of.

I know of other stories, not locations.

Please keep in mind that the JD story is a legend, not a fact and that no matter where you are, you need to be mindful of the "neighbors", i.e. people that live there, and not be disrespectful to their property and/or neighborhood. People do not take kindly to "interlopers", especially those that are searching for something that does not exist. And the neighborhoods that we are talking about, the residents are more likely than not to call the local LEOs to investigate anyone "snooping" around.

So if you decide to "investigate" these locations, be prepared to encounter the local PD. They will be called.

Rez113

Aug 9, 2010
Hi andy!

yo wtf this thing needs to found. maybe if we wander around aimlessly in the woods for a couple of days we MIGHT find it

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
I am sorry if I misled you, but I am recommending that you do NOT go looking for the Shroud House. There is no convenient place to "walk in". It is a very small, overgrown patch of land. And it is nowhere near the paved trail you speak of.

I know of other stories, not locations.

Please keep in mind that the JD story is a legend, not a fact and that no matter where you are, you need to be mindful of the "neighbors", i.e. people that live there, and not be disrespectful to their property and/or neighborhood. People do not take kindly to "interlopers", especially those that are searching for something that does not exist. And the neighborhoods that we are talking about, the residents are more likely than not to call the local LEOs to investigate anyone "snooping" around.

So if you decide to "investigate" these locations, be prepared to encounter the local PD. They will be called.

you mean the jersey devil isnt real ?????????????????????? :(