Whitesbog building collapse

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
I have uploaded some photo's taken today at Whitesbog. The packing/ sorting house is falling down, forever gone. An amazing amount of history regarding the pioneering of cultivated blueberries has been allowed by DEP Commisioner Lisa Jackson to go to ruins. It is sad that with just a roof this could have been saved, but meanwhile the time and resources of the state agencies are spent trying to keep motorcycles, quads and 4 wheelers off state property. Last time I checked, state property belongs to the citizens of the state, special interests and just plain everyday joe blow equally.

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Allowed to fall into ruins or torched, they are still gone forever. What gets me is the old signs (still everywhere) that pronounce " 1892-1992 100 years of conservation"

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Allowed to fall into ruins or torched, they are still gone forever. What gets me is the old signs (still everywhere) that pronounce " 1892-1992 100 years of conservation"

That is the WMA which gets much of it's money from sportsman.

Guy

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Guy,
WMA's and NJ state forests are all managed by the DEP and with all state and federal dollars. They are all patrolled by " conservation" officers and "state park police". I know of some of the tricks they use to catch offroaders such as staging an atv accident and when you stop to render assistence they arrest you, another one I just found out about at Forked River mountain officers posing with a vehicle stuck in an abandoned gravel pit and a good samaritan comes over to render assistance and they give you a ticket for leaving a "roadway".
I apologize for getting so political but these tatics go against all codes of decency.
Thanks for the great site.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Where is the building at?
I have been out there the last few nights running my dog around the bogs but have not been around the village area in years except to drive through the center of it.
Several of the houses in the village have been renovated recently. It's looks like they are trying to keep the place up.
It doesn't make sense for them to let a historic building fall apart???:confused:

I have been approached by conservation officers out there while fishing in the bogs. I never had any problem with them, course I was in compliance with the law. I'm waiting to run into them while I'm running my dog with no leash.

It's rather disheartening to see all the truckloads of trash dumped along the dirt road between Browns Mills and the Village.:cry:

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Thanks for pointing it out on the map.
When I looked it up on Google Earth I thought it may have been that building.
I'll get some pics next time I'm out there.

I agree that our State parks and forests are way understaffed and lacking attention. Places like Whitesbog, Double Trouble, even Harrisville and other lost towns should be protected from both natural and human erosion. It seems to me that Referendum #3 on next Tuesday's ballot, the "GREEN ACRES, FARMLAND, BLUE ACRES, AND HISTORIC PRESERVATION BOND ACT OF 2007, authorizing the State to issue $200 million in bonds for Green Acres, Blue Acres, farmland, and historic preservation", will at least help a bit.

No, I don't work for the government....I'm self-employed, and I'm not campaigning for anyone! I just think that we all need to get out and vote YES on this.

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
Here is an old pic of the Packing/Sorting house I found in the gallery.
watermark.php

Heres what it looks like now, a total loss.:cry:
15596Canoeing_and_hiking_121-med.jpg
15596Canoeing_and_hiking_116-med.jpg

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Thanks, icanoe. That whole village should have been preserved, considering that the White family has lea$ed those bogs from the $tate for so long.
Also, I forgot to mention my pictures are in the members gallery.
And lastly, I would not vote to appropriate millions more to dole out to quasi-state agencies whose first orders of business are restricting access by vehicles and posting huge signs on every third tree proclaiming their "ownership" of lands that we all pay for.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
It seems like yesterday I applied for a job working there. A schoolmate quit school in the springtime of 12th grade to work there for $5.00 an hour.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
They say your as young as you feel ( Some mornings I feel about the same as the packing house looks! )but it was the mid 70s you could get an agricultural work permit and work at the age of 14 or 15.It turned out at that age you couldn't work around machinery.I ended up picking berries with my neighbors instead. We didn't make any money but had a lot of fun! I learned a lot about the area listening to their uncles and grandfather who was born there inthe 1890's. One of his favorite stories was about seeing the Jersey Devil down by Upton Station when he was younger. We were always looking out when we rode our dirtbikes through there on the way to Mt.Misery.