WMA in Mullica Township

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
A few weeks ago, I spent a couple of days exploring a WMA off of Columbia Rd in Mullica Township. There are a few entrance roads. It looks like there is private property between the two sections of the WMA. I tried a google search and the only info I could find was a press release stating that the "private property" between the two areas was bought by the township, possibly as part of a green acres type program. It seemed like a typical WMA until one day when I took the second entrance in and found some foundations and cellar holes along a stretch of mini hills and open space. I haven't really checked any maps yet, but it seems this area backs up to Amatol.

Just wondering if anyone here knows anything about the area and what was there. I want to go back and explore the area that used to be private property but won't do that until I can confirm the purchase with the township.

Any information is appreciated...

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold

i know the area youe talking about , but i never came across the foundations , i rememeber being on that road and trying to enter the woods but at one area there was a guard rail type gate, i assumed that area was private so i left it alone , but i do beleive it does back up to amatol

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
If your talking about the woods on the left side heading to Nesco, those roads run into the back of the the Amatol plant and most of them lead into a swamp. If you weave through those roads right you can get out to the access road for Hammonton Creek WMA off of Moss Mill at the western end of Amatol. There's a lot of hunters back there right now. The roads on the right side heading to Nesco lead to the TNT storage part of Amatol and some dead end in the woods. Sailor Boy road - the biggest with guard rails at either end was the main road between the plant and town of Amatol. That one leads right into Town Square in the town portion and most of those roads eventually lead out to the curvy part of Indian Cabin Rd. between Sweetwater and Devonshire. It is a great place to explore, but some of it is indeed private property. Last time I was back there in 2003 or 2004 the private land was well marked and there was still a lot to explore that was open for public use.

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
This is some great info, thanks! I did find some foundations and stuff while I was back there in the area you described. Guess I didn't go far enough back to get to a swampy area. Although the trails were all muddy, it was all trails. Didn't get near any water!