WW I Ammo packing building?

ncherry

May 29, 2009
First an intro, I'm new to the group but when I found this site I decided I'd ask. I'm a cyclist from Central NJ (Cranbury) who often rides down as far as Chatsworth (up to 120 miles in a single day). I love riding in the Barrens! Recently did a ride down to Batsto (130 miles). I also do a 208 mile ride called the The Longest Day because it occurs around the summer solstice. This year it's June 13th so if you see us say hello, were the ones suffering in the sun. :)

On a ride 3 years ago we either stopped on Rt 563 below Chatsworth or Rt 50 below May's Landing and we found on the north bound side a small red brick building in the woods that had a plaque on it stating something to the effect that all the bullets used by the US forces were packed in that building. Does anyone know where that building is?
I've got to get a picture of it. Thanks!

NCherry:

If the building stood near Mays Landing, I suspect it may be part of Belcoville and not Amatol, which is closer to Hammonton. Belcoville was the home of the Bethlehem Loading Company, which, of course, the Bethlehem Steel Company founded as a subsidiary. Both Belcoville and Amatol operated during the First World War only. You indicate the brick building is small, which strikes me odd, but anything is possible.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

ncherry

May 29, 2009
I believe you are referring to Amatol. If you do a search on this site you can find many photo's and info on it. This thread has postcard of the place. Scroll down to post 16.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=4174&highlight=amatol

Or go here.

http://venus.atlantic.edu/amatol/

Guy

Guy, thanks, that's a pointer in the right direction. :) I still have to find this building and take a picture of it and the plaque. Now I have more history behind it and I can see that the shells they were referring to were not just the bullets.

Odd the thread seems to suggest that the Amatol town was closer to Hammington than the reference point I suggested. I'm certain of my reference points as mine are on the bike route we take to Cape May.

Anyway I need to take good pictures of various things so the other cyclist can enjoy the view (while suffering through the heat of the barrens and the sores of the saddle :) ).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jerseyman thinks it may be Belcoville, so I may be wrong on my guess. Also, you need to buy a GPS and it will keep a record of your route and you will always know where you were.

Guy

ncherry

May 29, 2009
NCherry:

If the building stood near Mays Landing, I suspect it may be part of Belcoville and not Amatol, which is closer to Hammonton. Belcoville was the home of the Bethlehem Loading Company, which, of course, the Bethlehem Steel Company founded as a subsidiary. Both Belcoville and Amatol operated during the First World War only. You indicate the brick building is small, which strikes me odd, but anything is possible.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

It could have been a guard station at the entrance to the base (just a guess). Near the building was a dirt road. I know that's not a lot of help. I'll take a quick peek at Google maps. Here is the tentative Longest Day route. I currently working on a portion of a detour through Tuckahoe.

The reason I mentioned May's Landing in addition to Chatsworth is because we call those two sections the doldrums. They both look similar and after 125 and 164 miles you start to get mentally tired. My co-partner in crime (we've done this ride 7+ times each) also agrees that is just below Chatsworth on Rt 563.

BTW, thanks for the information and the history lesson. I'm learning so much about NJ and the Pine Barrens. Now if I can just convince my wife to move there! :)

ncherry

May 29, 2009
Jerseyman thinks it may be Belcoville, so I may be wrong on my guess. Also, you need to buy a GPS and it will keep a record of your route and you will always know where you were.

Guy

Humor me ... :)

I could never figure out why cyclist would need a GPS. If you know your lost they'll just tell you where you are (uhm, your lost) and when you're not lost well you know where you are. :)

Sorry couldn't resist.

Actually on a ride like this computers are not a good thing (in general). We generally want to know our avg speed, some want power output, some want cadence and time of day. My team relies on me for navigation (I know where every pothole, crack, grate and turn is). But I can't remember this spot (grrr!). It was an unexpected find and I've only since then become more interested in the Barrens.

A GPS probably wouldn't be a bad idea for other reasons.

Oct 25, 2006
Here is a pic of a sign on Rt.50 South of Mays Landing of the Bethlehem Loading Plant or Belcoville, did you notice this on your travels, i only explored about 10% of the Belcoville Plant, there are many more ruins to see at the site.
IMG_0798.JPG

Jim

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'll add my vote for Belcoville as well. Maybe this will jog your memory? http://www.aclink.org/PARKS/mainpages/historic.asp

The "small red brick building in the woods that had a plaque on it" is the giveaway. I don't recall any signs at all near Amatol and Jim has posted a photo of what I suspect you saw on Rt 50. There are a lot of fascinating ruins out in the woods there.

If you do get a GPS you might be interested in my Map of the Pines: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=5929

Oct 25, 2006
I agree totally with Mark and Boyd, with my explorations at Amatol i did not see any explanative signs at Amatol.

Jim

I believe the building you saw (brick, small and two story) was the timecard building for Belcoville, probably the one on Rte. 50 just north of Atlantic County Park at Estell Manor, (Bethlehem Loading Company, a possible subsidiary of Bethlehem Steel Corp). World War One was almost over when it was completed. Amotol (named for an explosive) was in Mullica Twsp. It became the home of an early racecar track (early 1920's - think Barney Olfield era). The track was made from wood instead of dirt or todays asphalt. It was supplied from the remanants of Amotol. Both ammunition factories had extensive small gauge rail lines that connected to Large rail lines for shipment. Amotol was only in full operation for about 6 months. There is still rumors of an old engine abandoned after running off a track into swamp. They both had extensive modern (for the times) housing and sewerage systems. Amotol reportedly even had a bowling alley! The Old State Police Administration building is probably the only frame structure from Amotol left (there are claims of houses in the area, but I don't know of any directly).

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I agree totally with Mark and Boyd, with my explorations at Amatol i did not see any explanative signs at Amatol.

Jim

I heard there had been a sign located on the road that runs from Nesco to Elwood but it was either stolen or removed years ago. And I guess there's no point putting up another one if someone is just going to steal it again (if that's what happened anyway.) But in a way, it just makes it more of a mystery and that much more fun for someone to discover when they start looking into it. The pipe foundations along Moss Mill Rd. have probably set off a curiosity in many that has turned into a huge discovery for themselves. Just a shame a huge chunk(eastern portion) of Amatol is Private Property and not a park like Belcoville.

Kevin

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I believe the building you saw (brick, small and two story) was the timecard building for Belcoville, probably the one on Rte. 50 just north of Atlantic County Park at Estell Manor, (Bethlehem Loading Company, a possible subsidiary of Bethlehem Steel Corp). World War One was almost over when it was completed. Amotol (named for an explosive) was in Mullica Twsp. It became the home of an early racecar track (early 1920's - think Barney Olfield era). The track was made from wood instead of dirt or todays asphalt. It was supplied from the remanants of Amotol. Both ammunition factories had extensive small gauge rail lines that connected to Large rail lines for shipment. Amotol was only in full operation for about 6 months. There is still rumors of an old engine abandoned after running off a track into swamp. They both had extensive modern (for the times) housing and sewerage systems. Amotol reportedly even had a bowling alley! The Old State Police Administration building is probably the only frame structure from Amotol left (there are claims of houses in the area, but I don't know of any directly).

I had heard/read that some of the homes were moved to Elwood, but I couldn't tell you which ones. It would have been a relatively easy move with the rail line going through Amatol's town and then down to the AC line. I've read about railroads being able to move just about using old ties, rails, and grease.

ncherry

May 29, 2009
I want to thank everyone for the interesting information, I've learned quite a lot in a few days about the Barrens! I even surprised my friend, who's a history buff, and his uncle (a Biologist) both who have been exploring the Barrens since the 60's. I'll probably go looking for the Timekeepers shack this week as I need to recheck our Longest Day route before I write it up. I'll try to get pictures if I find it.

Thanks

Banjo

Scout
Apr 17, 2005
S.W. Missouri
I was at the Bethlehem plant two weeks ago. There is much more to see back there. There is a dirt road entrance to the park that goes down to the artesian well and boat ramp. There are more large remnants of buildings there. I will be going back within the next few weeks. I know I have only seen less than half of the plant. Anyone want to go?

ncherry

May 29, 2009
I want to thank everyone for all the information on this building. I did my big ride and I think the building was either removed or is well hidden by the forest as I couldn't see it. I believe the Park entrance is new since the time I first saw the building so it's possible what it was near that point and removed. The new blue sign is new and probably took the place of the plaque.

I want to thank everyone for all the information on this building. I did my big ride and I think the building was either removed or is well hidden by the forest as I couldn't see it. I believe the Park entrance is new since the time I first saw the building so it's possible what it was near that point and removed. The new blue sign is new and probably took the place of the plaque.

It's about 100 feet off Route 50, inside the tree line, a bit North of the park entrance. Stop at the park and ask directions. Good Luck.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I want to thank everyone for all the information on this building. I did my big ride and I think the building was either removed or is well hidden by the forest as I couldn't see it. I believe the Park entrance is new since the time I first saw the building so it's possible what it was near that point and removed.

Nothing as been removed and the park entrance is the same as always. It's possible that the sign is different, but I don't think so. The foliage is much heavier than usual this year due to all the rain we've had, so that's probably why you didn't see it.