Zeb's Bridge

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
On the Rutgers Historical 1906 South Jersey map there is a place called Zeb's Bridge between Giberson's Mill and Dover Forge on what seems like the Davenport Branch. I searched for Zeb's Bridge on here and got no hits but I seem to recall it being mentioned on a Crossley thread. Can anyone provide more information on this location?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I searched for Zeb's Bridge on here and got no hits

I found a couple old threads. :)

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/ten-mile-hollow.595/#post-4200

An interesting tidbit. Apparently Zeb Collins is buried in Hollow Field Cemetary. Zeb Collins wife, Tilly, was one of the owners of what would become the Eureka Gun Club, at least according to Beck and Dolf Arens. (Jersey Genesis, the chapter on Aserdaten)

Zeb's Bridge - marked on the Cook Topo Map (Sheet 13) might have also been named after Zeb Collins.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/10-mile-hollow-trail.3130/#post-30748

It was Borderwalker who asked me if I knew where Zeb's Bridge was. Sure, I told him, of course I did. I started poring over the maps. Lo and behold, I was wrong. That stretch of the Davenport branch had 3 bridges in just under 1.5 miles, but old Zeb's was not where I thought it was. Zeb's Bridge is only about 1,000 feet off of route 530.

This area has a lot of history. But she gives up her secrets grudgingly.

Reactions: Trailwalker

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
That "Appollonia" stop on the RR north of Zeb's Bridge on the Kobbe map above interests me as well. Never heard of that before, aside from a Prince band member. Can anyone shed any light on that one?

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That "Appollonia" stop on the RR north of Zeb's Bridge on the Kobbe map above interests me as well. Never heard of that before, aside from a Prince band member. Can anyone shed any light on that one?
I don't know about that, but I do want to say that Prince was one of the greatest guitar players I have ever seen. That talent was amazing, and overshadowed by his remarkable songwriting ability and his musical talent overall.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford

I couldn't find a whole lot either. On the CRRNJ map in the back of The Trail of the Blue Comet, the only station shown between Lakehurst/Manchester and Tom's River is labeled "Pine View," so maybe that is a later name for either the Appollonio/Appollonia (?) or Germania stations?

Reactions: Boyd

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I couldn't find a whole lot either. On the CRRNJ map in the back of The Trail of the Blue Comet, the only station shown between Lakehurst/Manchester and Tom's River is labeled "Pine View," so maybe that is a later name for either the Appollonio/Appollonia (?) or Germania stations?
The document below has Germania Station (later Pineview) at 4.6 miles from Lakehurst, Appollonio 6.3 miles and the 1st Toms River station at 7.2 miles. I too am curious about what was there and the origin of the name.

Reactions: stiltzkin and Boyd