Tuckahoe WMA

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was viewing historical aerials of Atlantic Coutny Park ,the 1931 aerials in particular when i happened to scan a little southward into what would be Tuckahoe WMA,I've explored this area only lightly in the past.I noticed what possibly may be more ruins that might be related to the War Munitions plants now in the county park.They would be in this area.39.38027 74.74913.Would anyone know if the white rectangular areas I am viewing are ruins or just cleared patches?There is a gridwork of raods visible here prior to the second world war on the old topos.I know this is your area Boyd,do yout know anything about these rectangles?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I assume this is what you are talking about: http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.38207950167204&lng=-74.75054740905762&z=15&type=nj1930&gpx=

Yes, that was part of Belco. They are labelled "TNT Magazines" on the plans. It appears they wanted to keep them far away from the main part of the plant for obvious reasons. :) My PC is offline at the moment as I am in the middle of a remodelling project that includes moving my computers. But I do have this section of the original plans here on my Mac and you can see what I believe is the Southeastern part of these buildings (sheds?). Interesting to see the note that says (I think) "This section not constructed" with a circle drawn around some of the buildings.

I've never explored down there, but it's on my list. Not sure off-hand, but some of that might be private.I have better data on my PC and can post later, when I get it up and running again.

tnt.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Just found this on my Mac also. It is the Northwestern part of the area at the link I posted above. These are labelled "Loaded shell storage for 750? 15?? and ?? shells". It also indicates that it wasn't constructed, but the 1930 aerial would indicated that it was.

shells.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
By the way I stopped at Atlantic county park yesterday and half of the trails ar now open,the boardwalk isn't.They have an updated trail map they put out every week that shows what is done.I have one here for last week,they told my wife it was online but I cannot find it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The old aerials look like it is just clearings but they are very rectangular and clean and they might be buildings.

There are some pictures of the shell storage buildings and TNT magazines here. Not sure if these are the same places or not, because I believe there were several storage areas. http://www.aclink.org/blc/plant_images/index.asp There appears to be a wooden building for storing TNT with a barricade around it.

S55.jpg

sheet22UL.jpg

These are for shell storage.

sheet22UR.jpg

S2.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
a quick glace of the open space map seemed to put this in Tuckahoe WMA but according to this map if this is up to date it would seem to be private

My PC is now situated in its new home, so I wanted to circle back to this. I have combined the 1930 aerials with my NJ public openspace data (the green areas) and a few other features. Unless there are some new acquisitions, that area is private. Definitely not part of the Tuckahoe WMA.

It's been awhile since I went out there, but IIRC if you turn onto Steelman Rd from Rt 50, you hit a gate with a sign that says "private" a couple hundred yards down the road.

belco-openspace.png

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Boyd, I noticed in your map overlay what appears to be an identical set of roads with out the buildings below Steelman Road. Do you know what what might have been in that location or what was eventually supposed to be there?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Gibby, I posted the plans of both those areas above. They look similar so it might have been confusing. See the note that indicates some buildings were not actually constructed: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/tuckahoe-wma.8673/#post-103789

Now that my Windows machine is back online, this image showing the whole area correctly oriented North-South might be a little easier to understand.

south.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
LIDAR imagery is now available for this area so I wanted to do a quick update. You can see what used to be here pretty clearly...

belco1.jpg

If I render it with the slope shader, it looks like there may be some foundations left. Too bad it's on private property.

belco2.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's a map overlaid with tax parcels. The yellow shaded area is all one big 2100+ acre parcel, green areas are public. Maybe the state or the county will buy this someday? Would make a nice addition to the existing public preserved land.

parcels.png

Here's the ownership info, I don't know him. Not completely sure how to interpret this since two different entries come up for the same parcel. I guess there are different zones within the parcel (big 2100 acre piece and small 5 acre)? Apparently it changed hands in 2012.

tax1.png

tax2.png

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I drove by Steelmans landing road the other day and it didn't appear to be gated and seemed open.I was headed to First Avenue and just glanced down the dirt road not really realizing where it went at the time.Is that road driveable or is it posted/gated?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Even though that area is close to me, I don't pass by very often - I'm like the New Yorker who has never been to the Empire State building. :) I remember a gate on at least one of those roads but not sure if it was Steelman or Steelman's Landing (or both). You had to drive down the road a bit before you could see it IIRC.

Why don't you think the house is occupied? http://binged.it/12D53Yy