This is very cool

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just keep your device far away from the heat. And yes they are cool.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
just found em! With a power pot and usb charger I will be set for the Buffalo river this spring!

I was going to go with that one, but it needs water to work. Will do a bit more research but am leaning to the Bio stove if they come out with one that can charge dslr batteries.

Your heading to the Ozarks?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
yes if I get a good rain this spring that can keep the river up at Ponca till I get there.doing the whole Ponca to norfork trip

That sounds like a great trip. I have been through there but never stayed around, gorgeous part of the country. Are you doing it with a group or alone?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
just me an my wife.tried it a couple years ago and got flooded out by the infamous Joplin tornado series.the river came up like six feet,we were in a tent in the worst thunderstorm I've ever seen.scared to death all night,next day we packed up and came home.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Here's hoping no more storms interrupt your trip. We have plans to head up north to the ADK's with another couple some time in September. Planning on an overnight on the 7 carries route in the St Regis, and a section of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. All depends on weather; hoping to catch the fall color and some coolness to put down the bugs.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
They are cool, but the Biolite seems bulky. In my defense, I have always been a weight weenie and have a preference for the compact. The Powerpot is some what closer to my taste. A quick and reliable hand cranked charger combined with a lightweight stove, such as one of the MSR Whisperlites, may be another option to consider.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Here's hoping no more storms interrupt your trip. We have plans to head up north to the ADK's with another couple some time in September. Planning on an overnight on the 7 carries route in the St Regis, and a section of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. All depends on weather; hoping to catch the fall color and some coolness to put down the bugs.
I just recently read about the northern forest canoe trail.Was planning a fall new england vacation and thats my fall back if I don't get rain in the Buffalo this spring.Was looking to cam a couple days at lake Umbagog and thats where I discovered the canoe trail.Was also headed to Greater Wass island,cutler preserve,gulf hagas and the white mountains,hitting covered bridges and waterfalls along the route.My wife has never been to NH or maine so if I take here there she will be caught up to me state wise.Haven't been there myself since the age of eighteen.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I just recently read about the northern forest canoe trail.Was planning a fall new england vacation and thats my fall back if I don't get rain in the Buffalo this spring.Was looking to cam a couple days at lake Umbagog and thats where I discovered the canoe trail.Was also headed to Greater Wass island,cutler preserve,gulf hagas and the white mountains,hitting covered bridges and waterfalls along the route.My wife has never been to NH or maine so if I take here there she will be caught up to me state wise.Haven't been there myself since the age of eighteen.

The NFCT has a web site with tons of good info and maps of each section. There is going to be a presentation at this years Paddlesport next month by one persons thru paddle of the trail, 700 miles.

We spent some time in Maine over the last few years, following the coast from Acadia NP northeast. The Bold Coast is my favorite section, very few tourons, gorgeous country, ocean cliff hiking, lobster right off the boat, all the groundhugging blueberries you want in August. Cutler Coast is especially nice, Cutler was our HQ. Unfortunatley the folks that ran a very nice place closed down and nice places are few and far between up there. There is a booklet that gives info on all the public land trust property open to the public. If I can help with any info let me know. Some pix at the links;

http://www.pbase.com/46er/acadia_and_points_north

http://www.pbase.com/46er/maine__2010

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
where is this booklet? Have to order it or is it online as a PDF? As I said new england is where I may end up this year if the Buffalo gets no rain or I can't get vacation when it rains.In any case is not this year I will be there next year.Am going for some very remote bushwack ponds in the Whites and Coos county.Will be all over hitting covered bridges and if the water is flowing some waterfalls to.Am interested in that canoe trail too,the little bit I read on it sounds like it has really long portages.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Here is what I have saved;

NFCT

Their site has excellent planning info and paper maps you can order.

http://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/

Cobscook Trails booklet

It is 55 pages, has about 20 locations. We never saw another person at the ones we went to. Right now it is not available for order online, they are working on a new edition. It is only available in print. You could give them a call as their site says they may have the current, 3rd, available. Here is the link, scroll down to 'The Trail Guide'. Well worth the $7 I paid for it at a shop near Quoddy Head SP.

http://www.downeastcoastalconservancy.org/the-cobscook-trails-project-2/

Map for Bold Coast Trail in Cutler

This is my favorite, camped overnight at one of their camp sites, on a cliff overlooking the Atlantic.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/issues/2012-05/features/bold-coast-trail-maine

http://www.hikenewengland.com/CutlerCoastME080610.html

I have tons of stuff saved from when I made our plans. If you need anything specific I can see if I have anything. This area is like Yellowstone, keeps drawing us back.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I had been to all the sites except the one from yankeemagazine.Thanks for the articel! I was thinking of camping at Fariy Head I just didn't want my friends to find that out:).My wife wants to see a rocky coast and I was thinking of Acadia but like me she is not keen on crowds so I started scanning maps and I seen that roadless blank area on the road atlas with just a little green writing that said Cutler preserve.I googled it and I said thats where I gotta take Momma!
I did some half mile portages in Sylvania wilderness michigan a few years back and they didn't wipe me out but they did hurt.I don't think I'm up to the multi mile portages of the NFCT though I may some day do sections of it.I have guides to the Allagash and Saint John rivers and would like to do those,the Saint Johns appears to be one that has to be caught UP like the upper Buffalo.Having to plan vacations ahead of time is the problem with trips like that.I am going to hope I can get a vacation on a whim which is possible if no one else has it.If the Buffalo goes way up I have ten to twelve days to get there and get down the river a day or two before it is two low providing there is no more rain.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I had been to all the sites except the one from yankeemagazine.Thanks for the articel! I was thinking of camping at Fariy Head I just didn't want my friends to find that out:).My wife wants to see a rocky coast and I was thinking of Acadia but like me she is not keen on crowds so I started scanning maps and I seen that roadless blank area on the road atlas with just a little green writing that said Cutler preserve.I googled it and I said thats where I gotta take Momma!
I did some half mile portages in Sylvania wilderness michigan a few years back and they didn't wipe me out but they did hurt.I don't think I'm up to the multi mile portages of the NFCT though I may some day do sections of it.I have guides to the Allagash and Saint John rivers and would like to do those,the Saint Johns appears to be one that has to be caught UP like the upper Buffalo.Having to plan vacations ahead of time is the problem with trips like that.I am going to hope I can get a vacation on a whim which is possible if no one else has it.If the Buffalo goes way up I have ten to twelve days to get there and get down the river a day or two before it is two low providing there is no more rain.

You might enjoy this. Done by an 'old guy', but in a kayak. His video's give a great idea of what it is like.

http://site.kayakathonman.com/My_NFCT_Story.html

Acadia isn't bad in June or September. As far as Fairy Head goes, you just have to sleep with one eye open :eek: