Stormy Hill?

sjbowers

Apr 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
"Great times at Stormy Hill" is on a photograph I have with a few relatives I'm stumped on where this may actually be located. I know it's in the Pines for many pitcures I have are taken in the same area, but not labeled. Place, area, an actual hill? Any information would be glorious! Thank you.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes, here it is. This is south of Speedwell, southewest of Bear Swamp Hill, and West of route 563. This is a topo map well over 100 years old.

upload_2019-4-17_23-43-8.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It is, in effect, a big island, right Al? So, looking at it in that way, I feel it may have a lot of emotional attachment for the berry owners and workers. Maybe an easy place to get away from the world and hold family picnics and other events.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Never thought of it as an island but now that I"m looking at the USGS topo os is kind of an island.I remember it being a good climb straight up from the stream bank. Looks to be about 35 ft elevation gain from stream to top.This seems to be too far north to me Micks.I think It may belong to Hog Wallow? I do remember seeing posted signs but I didn't really pay any mind to such things back then.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It's interesting that the USGS / NJ location for Stormy Hill is on the slope and not the top

topo.png

And somebody has taken a big bite out of the East side. ;)

lidar.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Never noticed those buildings on the 1930 aerials before - thanks! I wonder if they're the same shown on my topo? (historical structures are purple) I probably got those from historical USGS topo maps, which often used generic square boxes to indicate buildings.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Never thought of it as an island but now that I"m looking at the USGS topo os is kind of an island.I remember it being a good climb straight up from the stream bank. Looks to be about 35 ft elevation gain from stream to top.This seems to be too far north to me Micks.I think It may belong to Hog Wallow? I do remember seeing posted signs but I didn't really pay any mind to such things back then.

Comparing Boyd's map with the main NJPB map it appears to be on Haines property. You can see Frank's Ford Rd in the upper corner of Boyd's map, runs right to Stormy Hill Rd.

Reactions: manumuskin

sjbowers

Apr 25, 2017
Thanks all. On Haines property makes sense since it was where my Gr. Gr. Gr. Grandfather lived. In the pitcure I clearly see a house which if I can figure out how to upload I will. More research for me. I appreciate everyones knowledge and am so very grateful.

sjbowers

Apr 25, 2017
This is very interesting! So say I were to suddenly pick up canoeing I could possibly go to this location? Y'all have got me paranoid about private property, which is a good thing especially being clueless of the area. I'm sure the structure wouldn't be there, however it would be cool to have a location my ancestors put there feet on and I can get a pitcure of myself there as well.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is very interesting! So say I were to suddenly pick up canoeing I could possibly go to this location? Y'all have got me paranoid about private property, which is a good thing especially being clueless of the area. I'm sure the structure wouldn't be there, however it would be cool to have a location my ancestors put there feet on and I can get a pitcure of myself there as well.

I think you should not be shy about asking Mr. Haines if you could visit it. Perhaps he'd have one of his workers accompany you.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Haines are decent people. They may take you there or let you go. Stop at the office and take your photos.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
To be more specific. The house there now is newer. The homes in your photo were in the circled area.

haines.jpg

sjbowers

Apr 25, 2017
I could swear I've seen that photo in a book. Look at the mom in the background.
Funny you should say that. Because on the back it actually says mom in the background. The man is my grandfather, John Vic Bowers and his mother Verna Parks and the lady in the back is Mary Ann Parks (Verna's sister) the photo was taken by Mary Ann daughter.