Tesla

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
A server can be just about any old PC or Mac, it does not need much memory or a fast CPU. But "your own server" would do nothing for you. A VPN would give you a private connection, but your ISP still knows who you are, that you are home and are accessing the VPN.

If you really look into it, you'll realize that the death of privacy is far from a "fatalistic attitude". We have the US Government (both parties) insisting that tech companies give them "back doors" to bypass their privacy features and encryption. They are resisting, but it's almost irrelevant, because private companies can already do that "for a price". ;)

Last edited:
A server can be just about any old PC or Mac, it does not need much memory or a fast CPU. But "your own server" would do nothing for you. A VPN would give you a private connection, but your ISP still knows who you are, that you are home and are accessing the VPN.

If you really look into it, you'll realize that the death of privacy is far from a "fatalistic attitude". We have the US Government (both parties) insisting that tech companies give them "back doors" to bypass their privacy features and encryption. They are resisting, but it's almost irrelevant, because private companies can already do that "for a price". ;)

Well, as I said, going online at home identifies with the IP address. Perhaps if my life and work required me to fully employ all the capabilities of my phone, ipad, and home computer, I would share your view. I choose not to use social media or download apps in order to limit personal data acessible to others.
I cannot control personal data released by others; my medical providers, agencies I work with, etc.

I would like to improve my very limited skills with the above devices so that I could make better use of them without too much personal exposure. Any suggestions/references appreciated.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I would like to improve my very limited skills with the above devices so that I could make better use of them without too much personal exposure. Any suggestions/references appreciated.
Some general suggestions; use the best security software you can. Most ISP's give a free account to them for you computer and phone; if you chose to use one, be sure it is a good one. Change passwords frequently; do not use a password manager. Do not keep any personal data on your computer or phone. Do not send personal data; either emailed or internetted. Shut your system down when it is not being used. Disconnect from your network if your not using it. Create an email address to use that can be easily deleted; use made up data if you must join something. Report phishing and spam. Use your security software. Look into identity theft solutions. Free software is usually not worth what you paid for it. It all depends on how concerned you are, as what you can do could easily reach the breaking point. You have to consider safety versus convenience.

Medical records are only released if you sign a form allowing it. With business accounts you can limit what they release.

Some general suggestions; use the best security software you can. Most ISP's give a free account to them for you computer and phone; if you chose to use one, be sure it is a good one. Change passwords frequently; do not use a password manager. Do not keep any personal data on your computer or phone. Do not send personal data; either emailed or internetted. Shut your system down when it is not being used. Disconnect from your network if your not using it. Create an email address to use that can be easily deleted; use made up data if you must join something. Report phishing and spam. Use your security software. Look into identity theft solutions. Free software is usually not worth what you paid for it. It all depends on how concerned you are, as what you can do could easily reach the breaking point. You have to consider safety versus convenience.

Medical records are only released if you sign a form allowing it. With business accounts you can limit what they release.

Indeed. Medical records are legally protected. Healthcare providers can and do face major fines for patient privacy breeches.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
And don't forget the tin-foil hat! :ninja:

Aluminium foil works better and molds to one's head easier ;)

ev535923da.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
To Hell with electric cars ! I'll be burning my dinosaurs fresh from the ground. :)

Unless your electricity source is somehow made from unicorn farts, rotting dinosaurs had something to do with your ability to plug in your car.

Reactions: old jersey girl

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
No Scott, file that one away in the "never use again" basket. Most fossil fuels came from plants and tiny marine animals.
I like dinosaurs better Bob; it's gives a better graphic. :)
Either way, electricity isn't a magical, free energy source for electric vehicles or for any other use.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I like dinosaurs better Bob; it's gives a better graphic. :)
Either way, electricity isn't a magical, free energy source for electric vehicles or for any other use.

From Forbes magazine. No mention of unicorn farts.

Already taking the basic precautions you've outlined. Thanks, its good to know I'm doing what is sensible but not past the edge of sanity. We use Firefox and search engines other than Google.
Medical data is protected; but other avenues allow data sharing with "affiliates". I was unhappy but not shocked to see my date of birth listed when I searched my name. Speaks to Boyd's point.
The dilemma is exactly as you stated "safety vs. convenience"
Again, thanks

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
From Forbes magazine. No mention of unicorn farts.

Don't go and try to muddle this argument with facts Jon !

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
good to know I'm doing what is sensible but not past the edge of sanity.

JMHO, but a number of the things in 46er's post are on (if not past) the "edge of sanity", although we all have our own definition of that. ;) But really.... "Do not keep any personal data on your computer or phone"? Seriously? If that's how you feel, just get rid of the phone and computer.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Hot off the presses...

"Capital One, the Virginia-based bank with a popular credit card business, announced Monday that a hacker had accessed about 100 million credit card applications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The hack appears to be one of the largest data breaches ever to hit a financial services firm"

Indeed. Medical records are legally protected. Healthcare providers can and do face major fines for patient privacy breeches.

Here's the problem.... A hacker doesn't care what kind of fines the Healthcare provider will face when he steals your personal information.

Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A hacker doesn't care what kind of fines the Healthcare provider will face when he steals your personal information.

This one has already been arrested by the feds; no fines, criminal charges. She used to be a systems engineer for Amazon's cloud. Appears to have been pretty stupid.