Canoe, canoe?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well, I sold my Wilderness Systems kayak. I just cannot get used to a kayak. It may have a lot to do with my age; it is hard as hell to get up out of them when you land for any reason. And when I float our rivers and lakes, I get out of the ship a lot. Here is what I sold. It was very nice, but not me. Something about the canoe, the ease of jumping in and out, and carrying things, and maybe taking a person with you.

Now I"m doing the internet research for a light canoe, about 14 feet long. I may buy new. So many to choose from and good options. Here's something you don't see everyday. A free one. But, not for me.

Attachments

• 1588197470781.png
    1588197470781.png
    2 MB · Views: 211

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Hmmm, just saw this in Craigslist:

1588197836190.png

I never talk to someone on Craigslit without using their email service. Whenever I sell, I get lowballers and scammers, but they are fairly easy to weed out. I sold the kayak on Craigslist.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There's a style of paddling called "Canadian style". I see it, but don't think I'd like it. At all. It even looks uncomfortable. It's a solo style.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Just before all this started, I picked up a 16' Coleman Scanoe with paddles and a minnkota troller for 200 bucks, I didn't think that was a bad price, have yet to get it on the water though!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That one in your first link looks like the one my relative has in Vermont. We keep falling out of it. One move and you are over! My wife and I fell out of it and a man in a boat nearby raced over thinking we were drowning.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Just before all this started, I picked up a 16' Coleman Scanoe with paddles and a minnkota troller for 200 bucks, I didn't think that was a bad price, have yet to get it on the water though!

I had a coleman about 8 years ago. Guy and I went from Lake Oswego all the way up to the dam at Sim Place. I think we dragged that sucker over like 150 trees that day. Built to last! And that is a great price too.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That one in your first link looks like the one my relative has in Vermont. We keep falling out of it. One move and you are over! My wife and I fell out of it and a man in a boat nearby raced over thinking we were drowning.

What do you think the problem was Guy, too narrow?

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
I love my sit on top ocean kayak. I purchased it at I. Goldberg in
Cherry Hill if that tells you how long I have had it. I have taken it on rivers, lakes, bays and the ocean. It is stable as heck and I have caught plenty of fish from it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I love my sit on top ocean kayak. I purchased it at I. Goldberg in
Cherry Hill if that tells you how long I have had it. I have taken it on rivers, lakes, bays and the ocean. It is stable as heck and I have caught plenty of fish from it.

How long is it? Is it light?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I've been thinking about going with sit on top and getting g a dry suit.like you Bob it's getting harder to get in and out and with a dry suit and warm clothes underneath i should be winter proof.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
By the way I have a wilderness system cape lookout 135 17 foot blue kayak. I'd be willing g to trade for either a nice recreation kayak or a sit on top. I'm too far for it now,I literally cannot fit i it.it is very fast and tracks well,good for lakes but a bit of a beast in a fight creek.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way I have a wilderness system cape lookout 135 17 foot blue kayak. I'd be willing g to trade for either a nice recreation kayak or a sit on top. I'm too far for it now,I literally cannot fit i it.it is very fast and tracks well,good for lakes but a bit of a beast in a fight creek.

Yeah, that's too narrow and long for me. I want to get into some tight spots looking for plants. By the way, this canoe intrigues me, I've never seen anything like it. You? Probably hard to keep the darn thing straight.

Reactions: manumuskin

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
I think mine is around 7 feet. It is small enough to toss in a pick up bed.
I bought plugs for the scupper holes so you don't get a wet butt.
It is like a battleship. It will plow over fallen logs or rocks when I take it up to the Adirondacks. Very durable. It has to be at least 25 years old.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I owned a Hornbeck 10 footer when I had the place up north. Most good ponds required packing a boat in, the Hornbeck weighs 15lbs sopping wet, is stable and can be paddled like a kayak.

1588216719905.png

I now have a 15' Swift at 37lbs, also very stable.

1588216606540.png

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It's too bad Jersey Paddler went belly up; your could test drive any boat you were interested right across the street. They also held the country's second largest paddling show each March in Somerset NJ. But the memories live on in FB.