barren nights

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Damn Bill, you amaze me. Your shots need to be in a swank gallery.

edit: after I wrote this, the storm photos disappeared?

Well, I was going to resize the photos (they were stretching the screen a bit) and repost them separately, but it's getting late, so I'll re-link them as they are. Sorry, Bob.

I took these this evening at Dix WMA (near the Delaware Bay) and along Sea Breeze Rd. I was there to record, but wound up getting chased by one of the storms that passed through the area. One would have thought I was safe, as the storm that nearly doused me (and my gear, which was a quarter mile away, and required an old man's sprint to save) was safely passing toward the east from a point way north of me. But, as happens, the black clouds decided to take a bearing on yours truly, which is when my heart-pounding run-like-hell panic took place. There's something about being chased down by lightning-spouting clouds ...

I did stop long enough to take the two Dix photos below, though (the first one is looking directly toward the heart of the storm); and then, after a quick drive to Sea Breeze Rd., I watched the storm reapproach while shooting the two bottom photos. These were taken at the exact place as the Sea Breeze photos previously posted on this thread.

dix1.jpg

dix2.jpg

breeze2.jpg

breeze1.jpg

Sorry again for the screen stretch!

Bill

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There is something that really grabs me about that 1:23 PM road shot. Tell me more about that one. Where was it, and what did you do digitally to jazz it up?

It reminds me of that area between Friendship and the railroad, which I really like. It has that "sparse" look-the real pine barrens aspect.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
There is something that really grabs me about that 1:23 PM road shot. Tell me more about that one. Where was it, and what did you do digitally to jazz it up?

It reminds me of that area between Friendship and the railroad, which I really like. It has that "sparse" look-the real pine barrens aspect.

Thanks, Bob. I don't have a fancy software program with which to rework/enhance the photos, but one that came with my camera (offering a few basics). Every photo gets some work in brightness and contrast, tone adjustments, etc., as did the photo you're inquiring about (which, BTW, was taken on the Batona Trail between Ive's Branch and Martha). This particular photo also got a hint of saturation, dark marker (giving the trees a somewhat enhanced contour effect), and an even more subtle texture face plus an acrylic layer was added (but at such a low level, it's not really visible). I've saved many photos that I originally think I should discard just by using various tools at hand, mananging to reproduce what my eye saw (or wanted to see) when I took the photo.

Bill

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
methinks you need to come on vacation with me Billy.You know how my picture taking abilities are not really up to par.lake superior need your camera to truly capture the sapphire waters bordered by the emerald forests and ancient rocks dipping their toes in it's blueness.
Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
IMG_2481sss.jpg

there's the road, boy! c'mon! you can do it! one more time! lead the way! it's okay! you can go now! it's okay ... it's okay, bennie ... it's okay ... go ... you can go

don't go

go ... it's okay

dogstarss.jpg

benni-2.jpg

i'll see you on the other side

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bill,

I actually looked at it and did not understand it until NJBill posted. I am sorry that a member of your family has passed.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I go on vacation and come back to find out that bennie was watered his last tree???This has got me down.I will miss his bravery in the face of danger,his curiousness in the face of night noises and his down right good naturedness in letting me steal his master on occasion.he had to be 14 or so didn't he Bill?
I'm sure right now he's rolling in thiings that no earthly dog could ever imagine:)
Alfie

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Sorry to hear about your dog Bill.
My wife and I just put our ten year old Springer down two weeks ago.
My wife is still a mess and I miss him deeply.
He was our constant companion on the boat or in the woods and everytime I turn around I expect to see him there with his eager eyes.
Scott

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Sorry to hear about your dog Bill.
My wife and I just put our ten year old Springer down two weeks ago.
My wife is still a mess and I miss him deeply.
He was our constant companion on the boat or in the woods and everytime I turn around I expect to see him there with his eager eyes.
Scott

Scott,
I had no idea. That sucks man. It was evident on the cleanups that your constant companion tagged along for every ride. So sorry for you and for Dott. Keep ahold of the good stuff like logging in a ton of walks and good hunts.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Scott,
I had no idea. That sucks man. It was evident on the cleanups that your constant companion tagged along for every ride. So sorry for you and for Dott. Keep ahold of the good stuff like logging in a ton of walks and good hunts.

g.

Thanks George.
Our other springer Gunner saw 15 1/2.
Remington had some issues with his knees and then developed laryngeal paralysis. He was struggling with his breathing the last few months and had an episode that he couldn't overcome a few weeks ago.
They truly are man's best friend in the world.