Atlantic White Cedars in Muskee Headwaters

drb

Dec 27, 2011
Took a trip today with Gerry and a couple of friends to the headwaters of the Muskee. Weather was beautiful! Mission was to re-find two specific Atlantic white cedars. First one we found; second one we made it as far as the corduroy road then ran out of daylight, so we tabled that one for another trip.

The first cedar, near Middle Branch, was originally discovered by Steve Field of Vineland. Steve showed it to Gerry about 10 years ago and it measured in at 10'2" DBH then.

The second cedar, which we tabled, is a hop and skip away, in Nixon's Branch. Gerry found this cedar when he was leading a Philadelphia Botanical Club field trip in the 90s, and it measured 9'6" DBH at that time.

So here is today's re-find from a distance:
Muskee Cedar 004 b.JPG

A panoramic sort of view with its full height:

Muskee Cedar 007 b.JPG

Matt and Gerry measuring:
Muskee Cedar 008 b.JPG

It's DBH at 10'4" - we think this is the largest Atlantic white cedar in the state:

Muskee Cedar 009 b.JPG

And one more for relative reference:

Muskee Cedar 019 b.JPG

Next time we hit the corduroy road to re-find the other cedar!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice report! Is the tree near water? It always seems the bigger trees are usually right near a good water source such as a good stream.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe Jeff's tree is slightly smaller than that in diameter, but in the amount of actual wood and the charactor of the tree Jeff's tree seems bigger.

IMG_34480000.JPG

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
now thats two trees out there I have to find.I knew of the one on Nixons branch and looked for it once but didn't find it.Didn't know about the one on Middle.Now should I go in winter with better visibility or wait till late spring so i can jump in the creeks and head straight down swamps middle? By the way that cedar bog on the east side of Nixons is a beautiful place,sure you've been there.
Al

drb

Dec 27, 2011
Yes, and that's George Zimm and Gerry 25 years ago in the photo, lol! The field trip report you reference is Gerry's, his memory was that it was 9'6". Good thing for notes!

drb

Dec 27, 2011
Guy, the tree is in the headwaters of the Muskee, somewhat wet walking, yes!

drb

Dec 27, 2011
Bartonia 58 has it at 9' 6" but that was approximated - the following year they measured it. Guy, the panoramic didn't do justice to the enormity of the tree as I panned upward, it made it look much more narrow.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, the panoramic didn't do justice to the enormity of the tree as I panned upward, it made it look much more narrow.

With that measurement I don't doubt it is impressive.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, do you recognize this house, it was underground:

View attachment 1860
Can't say as I do.
I was stone hunting on Muskee just upstream from weatherby road a couple years back and found a cedar on the south side of the swamp that had to be a good 8 ft circumference.Might be worth an extensive walk up that creek.I canoed to a point a mile above weatherby before the creek graased up so bad I couldn't paddle anymore.

drb

Dec 27, 2011
Haven't paddled up there, only down there...nice pine barren-y paddle, then changes to bay, cool paddle...a lot of cedars in that area are a solid 7'6"+.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I took a good march dunking there at the bridge a couple years ago.The tide was out and no good place to put in in a kayak.I decided if I got in with the kayak half hanging off the drop off of about two feet created by the planking to stop erosion (this planking is flooded at high tide and would have made this task much easier) I thn pushed off knowing for a second my balance would be precarious.I was right.I have a touring yak,long and narrow not these wide pungo recreational jobs most people use around here.I got out over the water and immediately flipped to the right and by the time I got out (you have to slide and shimmy out)I was wet to my neck on my right side and to my chest on my left side and it was about 30 degrees.needless to say i called it a day.If I had of flipped to my left I found later at a lower tide I would have likely been impaled on pilings to no doubt the old historic wooden bridge that existed here in the past.Once in the yak I prefer it to a canoe but getting in and out and finding good places to do so can be a real pain.

drb

Dec 27, 2011
It's mostly underground and no longer occupied. Not far down the road from the trailer guy who has tons of old trailers in his property...that one is still occupied.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
oh okay I know where that is,I couldn't see it very well in the pic.your talking about de carlos lots.yes I've been to those ruins.I was thinking you went in from weatherby road.i like that gridwork area back in there,sorta like a maze till you learn it.