Prohibiting outdoor, wood-burning furnaces?

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
VILLAS — Lower Township Council introduced an ordinance Mon., Feb. 6 prohibiting outdoor, wood-burning furnaces.
The ordinance allows existing outdoor wood burners to continue to operate but does not allow installation of any new units. It prohibits burning trash, plastics, rubber, garbage, material treated with petroleum, particle board, railroad ties, pressure-treated wood, leaves, cardboard and paper products.
A clause in the ordinance specifies if an outdoor wood burning furnace is not used for seven months, it would not be permitted to be reestablished as a non-conforming use and must immediately be removed by the property owner.
Mayor Michael Beck questioned how that section of the ordinance would be enforced. He said the clause in the ordinance would prevent a furnace from rusting away in a backyard.

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/...eparing+outlaws+outdoor+wood+burning+furnaces
Boiler+1_0.JPG

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
VILLAS — Lower Township Council passed an ordinance Wed., Feb. 22 in a 3-2 vote prohibiting outdoor, wood-burning furnaces.
Councilmen Walt Craig, Glenn Douglass and Mayor Michael Beck voted “yes.” Councilman Tom Conrad and Deputy Mayor Kevin Lare voted “no.”
The ordinance allows existing outdoor wood burners to continue to operate but does not allow installation of any new units.
A clause in the ordinance specifies if an outdoor wood burning furnace is not used for seven months, it would not be permitted to be reestablished as a non-conforming use and must immediately be removed by the property owner.
During public comment, resident Michael Mann, who said he lived south of the Cape May Canal, asked if the township received complaints on wood burning outdoor furnaces other than one located on S. Andrielle Lane. Township Manager Michael Voll said it was the sole complaint.
Mann said he estimated there were a half a dozen outdoor wood burners in the township. He complained he had paid $5.85 for a gallon of propane and almost $13,000 in property taxes.
Mann said he owned a wood-burning boiler and would not be able to afford to live in the township without it.

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/...wer+outlaws+new+outdoor+wood+burning+furnaces

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
VILLAS — Lower Township Council passed an ordinance Wed., Feb. 22 in a 3-2 vote prohibiting outdoor, wood-burning furnaces.
Councilmen Walt Craig, Glenn Douglass and Mayor Michael Beck voted “yes.” Councilman Tom Conrad and Deputy Mayor Kevin Lare voted “no.”
The ordinance allows existing outdoor wood burners to continue to operate but does not allow installation of any new units.
During public comment, resident Michael Mann, who said he lived south of the Cape May Canal, asked if the township received complaints on wood burning outdoor furnaces other than one located on S. Andrielle Lane. Township Manager Michael Voll said it was the sole complaint.
Mann said he estimated there were a half a dozen outdoor wood burners in the township. He complained he had paid $5.85 for a gallon of propane and almost $13,000 in property taxes.
Mann said he owned a wood-burning boiler and would not be able to afford to live in the township without it.

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/article/government/villas/80716-lower outlaws new outdoor wood burning furnaces

Gov't run amuck.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
The Fight goes on................
VILLAS — Township Council will introduce an ordinance at its next meeting to repeal an earlier ordinance banning installation of new, outdoor wood-burning boilers (OWBs).
The township received a petition with 775 signatures opposing an ordinance passed by Township Council banning installation of outdoor wood burning boilers.
At a Mon. April 2 meeting, Township Clerk Claudia Kammer said she validated 601 of the signatures. She said 174 of the signatures could not be validated due to duplicate signatures, illegible writing, lack of an address or a signer not registered as a voter.
The matter is scheduled to be reviewed by the township’s Planning Board at its April 19 meeting at 7 p.m.
Mayor Michael Beck said once the planning board has sent its recommendations to council, a new ordinance could be instituted on OWBs.
During public comment, resident John Fleming, who lives on South Andrielle Avenue, ground zero for complaints about a wood burning furnace, said he was perplexed about the rush to repeal the ordinance banning new, OWBs. He said the petition did not meet official requirements.
Beck said council’s move was based on “a lot of signatures” and a number of residents council was not aware of who were opposed to the ordinance. He residents on both sides of the issue would have an opportunity to express their opinions to the planning board on April 19.
At an earlier planning board meeting, residents opposing the boilers dominated the proceedings.
Diane Morton, a South Andrielle Avenue resident who lives next door to an outdoor furnace, said the boilers awakened neighbors at 3:30 a.m. with smoke and fumes, produced “piles and piles of wood,” makeshift structures to keep the wood dry, and the “sound of chainsaws on a quiet Sunday morning.”
Not one individual stood before council or the planning board to defend OWBs, she said. Morton noted the ordinance did not cover fireplaces, fire pits, barbecues or other devices not designed to heat a structure.
She accused Deputy Mayor Kevin Lare of making the OWB ordinance “something it was not.”
Morton said if the planning board recommends OWBs should be allowed in the township, the following restrictions be imposed:
• A minimum of a five acre property with a 500 foot setback from the property line.
• Burn times for future and existing OWBs from November 1 to May 1.
• New OWBs must be at least phase two EPA certified.
• Fuel to be burned must be specified.

By Jack Fichter

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
So, for example, developers should be able to build their homes anywhere they want without the state telling them not to? I think this is the kind of thing geezer may be hinting at. We are upset when the State tells us what we cannot do, but glad when they prevent somebody else from doing what we don't approve of. I'll confess to being like that myself... it's a bit of a paradox.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A little bird told me that soon there will be a total outlaw on New wood burning stoves.Old ones grandfathered In. EPA is shooting them down for good.

How about fireplaces, campfires, and controlled burns? Maybe add smoking to the list; it probably does more harm than everything smoke producing combined.

We are becoming Vermont.

You might be right about Vermont ! That was a pretty free state until "the city folk" began buying year-round homes there.
(Stop me if this sounds familiar !)

Once they were "permanent residents", they started bringing in as much Upper-Crust New England as the traffic would bear...while their offspring did their best to bring in the "Lower Crust" values they favored.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A little bird told me that soon there will be a total outlaw on New wood burning stoves.Old ones grandfathered In. EPA is shooting them down for good.

Through two homes growing up I had a wood burning stove. Some great memories. Mom and Dad still have it and they will not decommision it for this possible reason. It has more than supplemented heat. With an above through the wall fan in the kitchen the circulated hot air did a good job on other rooms! I can fondly remember winter get togethers with Ice storms, freezing temps, snow, etc. and all us inside were sweating and in T-shirts around the kitchen table shairing laughter, food, drink, and good company. Man that was awesome. I consider my family normal blue collar folk, not hicks like I see labelled. above. That site Bob linked is a disgrace and so ignorant.
I'll go you one further, I never grew up without a burnin' barrel in the back yard. Many standarounds, talks, warming in between working on cars, trucks, tractors, during Hog killings, Ham smoking, etc., real social like. Yeah I said it... All Redneck stuff? Whatever. Best of times. Everything went in the burnin' barrell and I mean all. Lots of wood, brush, chikin feathers, furniture, old split rail fencing,
beer cans, drain oil to kick 'er up when needed, everything. When that drum was glowing red, anything burned. You laid your glove on the rim for a sec to warm them up (30 seconds too long and the gloves went in too), you leaned up on it a bit in your coveralls to heat 'em up, we burned rags, lit cigars, and faggs off it, used the heat to heat up metal that needed to be fit to equipment hot, man... so many things. dead varmint, shingles, lions and tigers and bears ohhhh myyy!
Once the barrell was beat it went to the scrap pile and a new 55 gal drum could always be had and cut even if we used the one we used to test run boat motors in. We would sometimes lay a grate over cut from the side of a shopping cart and cook hotdogs, roast peanuts, rabbit, squirrel, and yeah once the oil slick from the boat motor burned off they didn't taste so bad. I ain't needin to lable myself a Redneck or a Piney, just from folk that lived what we lived, not the jacked up people in the "real world".
Hell, that thing pictured above is hi tech for our tastes way back when. Might well be a solar power collector.
I'd watch glowing embers float all around and whisper away and it was so beautiful, especially in a wind. I wouldn't trade any of those memories and hundreds more for what people consider "proper" today. Try that S**t today and see where you end up.
Now I have to put these pissy little fires in my "chiminea" or quietly get a fire ring going (couple large truck rims welded together make a right proper ring!) outback if I dare. Ya'll don't sell LARGO short for bein' old school backwoods. I'll take that over living "ghetto". Thanks for the junket down memory lane. I see a story in this. Peace out brothers and sisters.

g.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good story George. I lived in Hampton Lakes in early 1960's, and my stepdad kept one in the backyard. I think he started the great pine barrens fire of 1963. He was throwing dead leaves and pine needles in on top of the milk cartons and cereal boxes, and when those needles hit with their resin load...."Whoosh!"....they were in the next yard in a flash, and soon enough had a crown fire crossing route 70 and heading towards Chatsworth.

Just kidding (sort of).

:D