Raised on Facts and Fiction

JersyDeb

Jul 20, 2012
Piney by Birth
I don't know what section this should be posted in...but this section got me typing.
Today, well...Yesterday...I read that Promiscious, Imbred and Drunkard....were words used to come up with the label "Piney"....I don't see a D in Piney ?!?.....But,.... We aren't supposed to be good Spellers neither...hmmm...thinking.....I didn't see Illiterate...but I know that my Punctuation sucks...

"The Kallikiak Family" and " The Vineland Training School for Feeble Minded Girls"

Am I the only one who never heard of this?
Thank you for any input that you may have...(Positive or Negative)...
I know who I am, and I like me.....But, I was surprised to see it in print.....

JersyDeb

Jul 20, 2012
Piney by Birth
The books are about the hometowns...I have had Chatsworth's for a few years..Ended up in a Book Store last night and thats where I found it. I can't remember the title...But, I googled it. Her name is Elizabeth Kite....It was Pine Barrens or Fortesque...They have so many more titles now....

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Deb,

I'll be presenting 7:00 PM Wednesday, August 15 at the Vineland Historical Society about Pinelands ethnic settlements, and speak to the Kallikak issue.

Ernest Homeseeker Excerpt.jpg

Above is a slide from the talk, with a diagram excerpted from the 1934 German translation Die Famalie Kallikak portraying Pineys as degenerates. The Nazi propaganda machine was citing our works in support of eugenics.

S-M

Reactions: JersyDeb and dogg57

JersyDeb

Jul 20, 2012
Piney by Birth
Thank You! I was just saying today, that I feel like I am a day late and a dollar short..... (a six pack and a lottery ticket are in my immediate future)..... I have every intention on being there on the 15th....I havent clicked on the link yet, but I wanted to express my appreciation before I got into it. .....I will be back......and to this day, I still believe in the Jersey Devil!..Happy Friday...

JersyDeb

Jul 20, 2012
Piney by Birth
I brought home beer...I aint doing dishes.(no steins)..so be happy I brought bottles...anyway...Quaker towns were dry towns werent they? Moorestown and Mapleshade..Town line Liquor Store? Ocean City near Atlantic city...Dry...enlighten me...

Reactions: Boyd

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Very first hit in Google:

Quakers were NOT forbidden to drink alcoholic beverages which were commonly accepted in the 1600's when the Society was founded. They were however forbidden to drink to excess. A number of early Quakers are known to have owned Inns in which the sale of alcoholic beverages along with meals & rooms was a normal part of business. Quakers did however seem to be forbidden to engage in the manufacture of alcoholic beverages. A few instances are known in which members were disowned for operating stills. It was also considered contrary to discipline to offer alcohol as an inducement to others to perform some act. One case is known in which a Friend was cited for offering alcoholic beverages to his field hands, presumably to get more than a fair day's labor for a day's pay.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~quakers/quakinfo.htm

Reactions: JersyDeb and dogg57

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I brought home beer...I aint doing dishes.(no steins)..so be happy I brought bottles...anyway...Quaker towns were dry towns werent they? Moorestown and Mapleshade..Town line Liquor Store? Ocean City near Atlantic city...Dry...enlighten me...

What kind of beer?