A solitary camper braved Batona camp last night.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We walked there this morning and he was trying to dry his gear out. we had 5 inches of rain last night. When we finished our walk he had all of his gear together and said he was going to Batsto Village. Right now he is probably at Quaker Bridge, and it is pouring again. You can't even hide under the bridge, it is full of holes. The good news is the Skit is flowing smartly, good upstream paddeling ahead.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Roughing it is fun, but when it rains that much it no longer is fun. Best to stay home on those days.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Were're at 10 here, Chatsworth more, it's good for the rivers. That poor guy hiked all day in this.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Do you mean 10 inches of rain? That's nuts! It has been cloudy and unbearably humid here ever since Saturday. The total rainfall since then has been 0.55" according to my rain gauge. These storms are really localized. Was looking on the radar from time to time and it looked like some of the storms just parked in one place and moved very little.

Here is the total rainfall from yesterday. Note the white "bullseye" surrounded by violet and pink.

rain.jpg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It has been quite dry here for the past two weeks. We've had rain on a number of days, but the amounts have been small. My stream has all but dried up, although the frequent light rain has made the ground moist everywhere. I'm in one of the isolated light green areas West of Atlantic City. (~1 inch total). Here's what the last 14 days look like.

rain2.jpg

If we go back 30 days, then the rain is more evenly distributed, but I am still in the orange zone (~3") while much of the pines is 5+ inches. Notice how the "bullseye" from the current storm has skewed all of these maps. Very impressive. I knew it was raining somewhere but had no idea how much! Some spots have had 15 inches of rain in the last 30 days. Was there a hurricane that I missed somehow? :)

rain3.jpg

If you want to look at other timeframes, use this link. But notice the options I have checked on these images. Be sure to un-check "Topo", because that paints all of the pines a green color which will be confused with the rainfall color scale.

http://water.weather.gov/precip/index.php?yday=1346716800&yday_analysis=0&layer[]=1&layer[]=2&layer[]=3&layer[]=4&layer[]=5&layer[]=6&timetype=RECENT&loctype=STATE&units=engl&timeframe=current&product=observed&loc=stateNJ

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
NJDEP's Division of Parks & Forestry posted these photos today on its Facebook page:

563 @Evans Bridge
644569_490827777596414_231140561_n.jpg

Entrance to Godfrey Bridge campground
400401_490812190931306_1563721774_n.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Boyd, is there a way to zoom that map in.... looks like that 10 inches was just about on top of us

No way to zoom those maps unfortunately. Probably not much reason to do it either - look how big the individual pixels are. Zooming would just turn them into huge blocks. :)

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Wow! Those pics show a much different river than on Labor Day. We started our trip on Monday from Evans Bridge, it was a nice level from Evans to Beaver Branch but certainly not high water yet. I think I'm going back this weekend if its safe.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Here is an email I received this morning form Shamong Twp.

Please be advised, as reported by the Burlington County Times and Confirmed by the Burlington County Division of Mosquito Extermination - Mosquito traps placed along Route 206 just South of Tuckerton road have resulted in positive samples of the West Nile Virus.

This is my backyard.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Ugh. Guess I should be happy that I live down South here in the "sahara of the pines". :D

I guess you take the good with the bad and hope you break even. They’re going to spray here tomorrow evening between 7 and midnight. I hope they get the right ones.

Don

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I remember the mosquito trucks driving up and down the streets here in Hamilton and the train of kids on bikes riding through the fog. I was too small to be with the older kids and missed out on the festival. I just watched from the tree we had in the yard. Growing up in the seventies was such a good time. I don't know how, but the things we did didn't kill us. :D

That is good news that the county is acting so fast. Did the Division say what chemical they will be spraying to combat the mosquitoes?