Kicked out of Carusoville

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
We drove to Carusoville today to get some new pics. A cop passed us, coming from Carusoville. Not really thinking about it, I waved and kept going. So we get there and I get 2 pics. I notice smoke coming out of one of the barrels (where kids normally have bonfires). I get back to the truck to move to the other side of the "town", when the cop comes back.

"Why don't you go somewhere you're supposed to be, instead of being somewhere you're not supposed to be?"
"I'm just taking pictures."
At this point he gives me this cocky wave....that really pissed me off.
"Whatever."

I was annoyed; I've been back there quite a few times and never had any problems. There isn't a single sign saying you can't be back there. It is, essentially, just a road.
So I drove down toward the bridge at Bamber Lake just to see if he was following me. On my way back to the main road, 2 fire trucks zoomed past us. I'm supposing that's why he chased us out. But I really hope they weren't going back there because of the smoking barrel; I could've put that out with a bucket of water.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu said:
We drove to Carusoville today to get some new pics. A cop passed us, coming from Carusoville. Not really thinking about it, I waved and kept going. So we get there and I get 2 pics. I notice smoke coming out of one of the barrels (where kids normally have bonfires). I get back to the truck to move to the other side of the "town", when the cop comes back.

"Why don't you go somewhere you're supposed to be, instead of being somewhere you're not supposed to be?"
"I'm just taking pictures."
At this point he gives me this cocky wave....that really pissed me off.
"Whatever."

I was annoyed; I've been back there quite a few times and never had any problems. There isn't a single sign saying you can't be back there. It is, essentially, just a road.
So I drove down toward the bridge at Bamber Lake just to see if he was following me. On my way back to the main road, 2 fire trucks zoomed past us. I'm supposing that's why he chased us out. But I really hope they weren't going back there because of the smoking barrel; I could've put that out with a bucket of water.

They have rave parties back there all the time, and so the cops are probable tired of chasing people from there. One member of this site visited there once and there was over 100 people there.

At the intersection where the road heads down to Carusoville, a womans body was found a few years back. A good place to stay away from.

Guy

KeroseneCity

Dec 26, 2007
Forked River, NJ
I believe the only raid they had there was when hundreds of people from as far away as nyc drove to carusoville to have a drug party.. (noting how stupid they were since they are driving past houses that normally do not get traffic) i believe that was about 7-8 years ago..
and just to think of that poor woman that was murdered and buried there, and the only way she was found by hunters or fisherman ( i forget ) months later...
good thing criminals aren't too smart, because if the killer buried her 20 more feet into the woods, they would have never found the woman.

marshstomper

Jan 6, 2008
Folsom
what roads is this carusoville near? cause i tried to check out the ariel on the area, and i compared what i was looking at to some weirdnj descriptions...and weirdnj was saying something about some kinda abandon shacks and a pet cemetary. just wondering, cause once i get a lead, i can "ad-lib" the rest. :)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm pretty sure this is Carusoville. I've only been to the road that goes in, during the FRM Cleanup last year.

You'd do good to not put much faith in Weird NJ descriptions of things. The "Pet Cemetery" is actually Ten Mile Hollow, which was/is a human cemetery. There's also not many abandoned shacks around the Pine Barrens.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm pretty sure this is Carusoville. I've only been to the road that goes in, during the FRM Cleanup last year.

You'd do good to not put much faith in Weird NJ descriptions of things. The "Pet Cemetery" is actually Ten Mile Hollow, which was/is a human cemetery. There's also not many abandoned shacks around the Pine Barrens.

You are correct on the location Ben.

Guy

marshstomper

Jan 6, 2008
Folsom

lol that's why i joined THIS forum.

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
Ten Mile Hollow is nowhere near Carusoville. I think there may be a shred of truth behind the shack thing though. I had heard a bit past Carusoville there was a shack that a homeless guy lived in, and for whatever reason he had a lawnmower on the roof. It was supposed to have been knocked down after he died.
Taking one of the back ways into the Forked River Mountains, I passed by a pile of rubble that looked like it could have been a dwelling of some sort. In its center was a lawnmower.

...then again, it could have just been a pile of trash.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob knew about him. He rebuilt alternators for cars, and he was the last one to leave when the state forced them all to go because of the concern over their septic systems along the creek.

When Bob told me the story I came home and added what he said to my records. Here is some of it.

The road into the development had curbs leading back to the cul-de-sac at the end on the right and left. The two properties on the right and left at the first corners at the end of the long road to the cul-de-sacs were reported to be very nice homes. The other homes on the far end along the creek were not as nice. And to the left at the end was an old man who had a house and a trailer who repaired alternators. He was reported to be the last to leave the area. The houses were destroyed and left there until the mid 80's or so and they were then removed.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob knew about him. He rebuilt alternators for cars, and he was the last one to leave when the state forced them all to go because of the concern over their septic systems along the creek.

When Bob told me the story I came home and added what he said to my records. Here is some of it.

The road into the development had curbs leading back to the cul-de-sac at the end on the right and left. The two properties on the right and left at the first corners at the end of the long road to the cul-de-sacs were reported to be very nice homes. The other homes on the far end along the creek were not as nice. And to the left at the end was an old man who had a house and a trailer who repaired alternators. He was reported to be the last to leave the area. The houses were destroyed and left there until the mid 80's or so and they were then removed.

Guy

All correct Guy. I saw all the houses when I moved in Bamber in 82.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
carusoville is in the greenwood forest wildlife management area. any one is allowed there from dawn untill dusk. I fish out there a lot, only had a conservation officer check my license one day. if it was illeagal she would have let me know. the police officer was most likley just venting on you. I remember when the old guy still lived in the shack. I think I remember him being in the press after the fire in 95 because of how close it burned to his home.