New Found(?) Gun Clubs/Cabins in the Pines

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Yesterday afternoon Lloyd and I set out on a 6+ mile run to find a Gun Club in the middle of the pines that was noted on a very old map. See here for the topo map of where it was "supposed" to be.

[Map link removed - BR]

Although the GPS coordinates weren't very accurate we found it within a 1/2 mile of the map coordinates. Of course dropped a pin to store it for another time. Since I'm a new poster I'm not sure of the etiquette for sharing locations but I surely would not want too much attention on this fairly undisturbed location. I only sent the coordinates to Weird NJ for the next publication (kidding of course).

The location is not too far off of a trail with the telltale clearing in the middle of fairly dense growth and trees. We found a concrete slab which was fairly large *perhaps 20' x 40' or so. There was a framed roof with metal sheeting remaining (most likely a roof due to chimney type pipes).

dqTTgkY.jpg

Some other features included:
  • Refrigerator
  • Stove
  • Old Metal (Tin? Aluminum?) coffee pot
  • Mattress Frames
  • Chair frames
  • Various glass bottles and cans (Squibb Mineral oil, still half full, old juice bottles, old Miller can)
l9SepDE.jpg

Took a few pics as well (see end of this post for gallery)

However it gets more interesting:

We went down some other less travelled trails and found evidence of a smaller gun shack. I say evidence because we didn't really persue deeper into some really high growth but we could see a refrigerator, stove, and some other metal which appeared to be corrugated metal, among other items. This is not in an easy to travel area and cannot be travelled by a vehicle so it's not a "dumping spot". Trails are narrow and ground is very low with muddy swampy texture in the region surrounding this higher clearing. This should be explored further perhaps late fall early winter since it's very overgrown. There is a fairly large clearing behind these metal appliances.

The Grand Finale

Again exploring trails nearby we found what seems to have been fairly large, multi-room cabin or gun shack. Concrete block walls surrounds the main area with clear cut division between the rooms (not a regular rectangle shape). Some walls remained ~3 ft high in areas, and it's clear some larger walls tipped over at some point. Really interesting mostly untouched artifacts and items here as well.
2L05Snd.jpg

• Freshwater Well (pipe into a pipe right into the ground)
FCuIfEx.jpg

• Water Storage tank probably for shower
zhPOvmn.jpg

• 2 Trailer frames with shiny stainless steel pieces on one of them.
  • One trailer was very long (16 ft or so)
k1P7SUs.jpg

• Refridgerator
  • Stoves - one larger and one that appeared to be a portable propane type)
  • Old China and ceramic pieces (one makers mark said "MORI" with a Japanese symbol
hY1Xqoa.jpg

• Large Wash Basin
  • Small Basin
  • Piping into the ground in another "room" perhaps for water draining or makeshift toilet?
  • Double Chimney
A small gallery of pics can be found here on Imgur since the gallery will not allow me to post images right now. If anyone has any info about the history of any of these I'd love to hear more.

Also- Moderators if there's anything you think should be added to, or removed from this post let me know or change as needed. I'd love to see these sites kept fully intact so please let me know if anything should be removed. The coordinates above are not that accurate but it's all in the vicinity. If you all want to go a few miles in and wander about I'm sure it can be found. Or contact me privately to discuss

I'm very excited to be part of this, and after growing up in Barnegat and moving away, it's great to be back in Waretown and exploring these places.

>>

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Nice explore. There was quite a building there in 1956.

[Link Removed - BR]

BTW, wasn't it hot yesterday?

Ed

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Thanks for the info Ed- I check some other Topo maps and came up empty handed. You think it's ok to leave the coordinates up on the site? Wouldn't want people looking to wreck the place looking for trinkets...

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
That is an issue. Others will chime in but I often do not post, including today, I did not want to draw attention. It's sad because discoveries and sharing are what made this site great.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I just realized that Mickey and I stopped at that site on an Ocean County Parks hike a few years ago. I noted from the topo map we carried that it was a former gun club site but there was almost a foot of snow on the ground when we were there so it was much less interesting at the time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been there a few times while searching for Thomas Black stones. There is one right near there and there should be an inscribed one less than 200 feet from there but I can't find it.

IMG_9514.JPG

Someone there liked trains.

IMG_9515.JPG

I will look for others.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Do you and Lloyd run without your shirts early on Saturday or Sunday mornings? Do one of you sometimes run alone? I believe you or Lloyd passed by Jessica and myself on a few occasions.

Reactions: Lloyd Taylor

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I have been there a few times while searching for Thomas Black stones. There is one right near there and there should be an inscribed one less than 200 feet from there but I can't find it.

IMG_9514.JPG

Someone there liked trains.

IMG_9515.JPG

I will look for others.

Guy
The train tracks are still there - even a small half crushed train. It must have been quite a feat to haul all of the bags of concrete to pour that foundation...

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Do you and Lloyd run without your shirts early on Saturday or Sunday mornings? Do one of you sometimes run alone? I believe you or Lloyd passed by Jessica and myself on a few occasions.

You have probably seen Lloyd if a Saturday- but I guess you could say we both run "topless" yes

It's rare that we see a single person out on the trails but I'm sure our paths will cross one day.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Welcome to the site Mike - nice photos! :)

You went on a 6 mile run yesterday? Wow, that's crazy, be careful out there. I spent the day in New York City and the heat was unbelievable up there, it was still 100 degrees when I left the City at 11:00PM last night!

Reactions: WaretownMike

Lloyd Taylor

Oct 16, 2012
Waretown, NJ
Guy, I'm sure that was me, I run alone most days and after April never wear a shirt! Makes it easier for the flies to feast on me. Got lost this am in FRM area and was gone for 3+ hours! Love it

Reactions: bobpbx

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Ironman Loyd! I have been drinking close to six liters of water a day this week while at work. I have been starting work before sunrise and finishing around three. Do you hydrate the night before, because I have found drinking a liter during the evening has helped considerably the following day.

-This morning after sunrise the heat index was already ninety-four.:eek:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, I'm sure that was me, I run alone most days and after April never wear a shirt! Makes it easier for the flies to feast on me. Got lost this am in FRM area and was gone for 3+ hours! Love it

Look for my black car along one of the dirt routes you take. Once I saw two runners early on a weekend day running toward us and past us. And the next week it was one runner at the same location. If you see a black car and nobody is around scrape your feet in the dirt by the drivers door. I always check my tracks to see if anyone has come by while I was parked.

Guy

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Welcome to the site Mike - nice photos! :)

You went on a 6 mile run yesterday? Wow, that's crazy, be careful out there. I spent the day in New York City and the heat was unbelievable up there, it was still 100 degrees when I left the City at 11:00PM last night!

Boyd this weather is sure draining after a 2 hour jaunt but water is a savior. I like to be hydrated enough prior to starting that I need to pee before we get running. I went through a liter of water in 2 hours. The camel backs a burden to run with but it's a worthy trade off

Star Tree

Scout
Apr 28, 2011
Waretown
We always called that the Wannamassa Club. The story I heard was that the building indicated on the topo was their original club and later they built another building farther up the swamp. The 2nd one was the one that was blown up in the early 1970's?
I'll give you guys credit for going back there. The only reason I would go up there this time of year is on business.