The migration has begun....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
it has been hummingbird city out back for the past week. Wells Mill CP should be fantastic. Have been seeing more and more shorebirds on the move and the Cape May Hawk Watch begins this weekend. Have seen more Monarchs on the Butterfly bushes, and the Beach Plums are ripe. Less than a month till the autumnal equinox and the winter forecast comes out on Saturday. Farmers Almanac has already released theirs and I was shivering reading it. Tis the season.

http://www.njaudubon.org/SectionCapeMayBirdObservatory/SeasonalWatches/HawkWatch.aspx

http://www.njaudubon.org/SectionCap...MayAutumnBirdingFestival/SeasonalWatches.aspx

Reactions: Ms Oats

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton

46er, would you happen to know if there is any significance to a double band around the leg of a Peregrine Falcon in the Great Bay area? I came across a mature bird and it had both a green and a black band on its one leg. I was just curious to why it would have two. (The falcon was perched on one of the poles along Seven Bridges if that helps any)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er, would you happen to know if there is any significance to a double band around the leg of a Peregrine Falcon in the Great Bay area? I came across a mature bird and it had both a green and a black band on its one leg. I was just curious to why it would have two. (The falcon was perched on one of the poles along Seven Bridges if that helps any)

Probably banded twice in 2 different locations, not necessarily in NJ. I have some info on banding, I'll try to find it and post it here. The band colors have some meaning. Quite a few moons ago I spent some time during the fall migration with the team of raptor banders in Cape May. Those folks have amazing eyes. They sit in purpose built blinds in fields where they have permission from the landowner, scanning the skies, then begin working the bait lines to bring the bird in, and then have to time it right to pull the trap line to get the bird. They miss a lot.

Merlin going for the bait

36983623.jpg

Banding tubes

85150724.jpg

Reactions: Gibby

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
All you ever wanted to know about bird banding, and then some, click the banding tabs on top of the page. There is a form somewhere on the site to report banded birds, in case your interested in that.

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/

If your interested, the IBSP plum festival is on Sunday and they ask a bander to be out in the field net banding passerines as a tour stop, but I would give the park a call before traveling there. Her name is Mary, and she has been doing this for a loooooooong time.

North winds on Sunday, we'll probably be headed to the watch at Cape May.

Reactions: Gibby

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I have some info on banding, I'll try to find it and post it here.

Thanks! I will enjoy reading about the banding. It will help explain some of the things I have been seeing along the coast and further inland.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The northerlies that were expected yesterday were really pumping today, and with them came the birds. Racoon Ridge, in the DWGNRA, was 4 short of their record count for Bald Eagles. That watch is almost as good number wise, but exceeds Cape May in the experience you get. You are at eye level, or above, the migrating birds and get some fantastic looks. Hawk Mt in PA is similar. but a much further drive.

The HMNA hawk count site for NJ;

http://hawkcount.org/sitesel.php?country=USA&stateprov=New Jersey

The location of the Racoon Ridge count, directions on the HMNA site. You can also hike up from Old Mine Road via the Kaiser trail, uphill 1000', 2 miles. Makes for a great autumn day.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=41.01486150354183&lng=-75.04201691581875&z=14&type=hybrid&gpx=

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Very timely 46'er.
We were enjoying some tasty brews with friends Saturday night at my marina in Cape May and about ten minutes after sunset a large hawk glided in and perched on someone's tuna tower. It is one of the highest in our marina and he sat there until after dark dark and was still there when we left at 20:30. When I walked to the parking lot around 19:30 to get something out of my truck, two hawks were cruising over the salt meadow along Ocean Drive. These were not ospreys and it was the first time I ever noticed a hawk in the marina.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Very timely 46'er.
We were enjoying some tasty brews with friends Saturday night at my marina in Cape May and about ten minutes after sunset a large hawk glided in and perched on someone's tuna tower. It is one of the highest in our marina and he sat there until after dark dark and was still there when we left at 20:30. When I walked to the parking lot around 19:30 to get something out of my truck, two hawks were cruising over the salt meadow along Ocean Drive. These were not ospreys and it was the first time I ever noticed a hawk in the marina.

Tis the season and Cape May is the place anytime the winds are out of the north. The Hawk Watch deck is located at Cape May Light State Park.

152272043.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
We walk the boardwalk trail throught the marsh and woods and visit the deck quite a bit.

Two years ago, around this time, there were a group of college students with free trial Swarovski spotting scopes and binos on the deck. The program was sponsored by Swarovski. You could use them on the deck only and they kept a tight watch.
If I had a pile of money to squander I'd be all over the 10x42 binos. You can see detail that looks almost surreal with those bad boys.

Only $2,499 at Optics Planet:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/swarovs...=bing&ef_id=Ui7pyAAABUvx2HTF:20130910094336:s

During that outing, my wife took a picture of a tagged monarch butterfly. She didn't have her glasses on when she took the pic and didn't see the tag until we downloaded it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Swarovski is the sponsor for all 3 of the watchs, hawk, morning flight and sea, down there and the Cape May Bird Observatory runs them. They have the loaners available each year. There are different educational programs scheduled each day at the SP. My eldest son worked the hawk watch and morning flight for 2 years as an interpretive naturalist for the Observatory. Looooong hours looking up. He still has a slight tilt to his head :eek: The end of October is the big festival to close out the season. Folks come from around the country and world to be there. If you enjoy birding, it is the place to be. We always try to get down there for one of the 3 days.

If you are in the market for some glass, take a look at Leupold or Nikon for great optics at a reasonable price. I have Leupold Wind Rivers in 10x50 and Nikon Monarchs in 12x42. Great no fault warranty on the Nikons. If your using the glass a whole lot, the high end stuff make good eye sense, but for the casual user they are a bit over the top, unless you are one of the 1% :D

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
Agree with 46er on the Bins, I love my 10X42 monarchs and @ $250 a great value.

The Broadwing flight will peak during the next 2 weeks. I may head up to the Merrill creek Resovior Hawkwatch next week if there is a good NW wind. Sometimes the ridge and valley sites are better for broadwings. Overall though, you can't beat the point.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
If you are in the market for some glass, take a look at Leupold or Nikon for great optics at a reasonable price. I have Leupold Wind Rivers in 10x50 and Nikon Monarchs in 12x42. Great no fault warranty on the Nikons. If your using the glass a whole lot, the high end stuff make good eye sense, but for the casual user they are a bit over the top, unless you are one of the 1% :D

I am no stranger to Leupold rifle scopes, my favorite is the 2-7x on my TC Encore. Lifetime warranty on them too.

Two weeks ago I bought a new Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter varmint rifle in .22-250 with a Nikon BDC 3-9x40 mm scope on it. My first Nikon and so far so good. Very clear at full power and although I had my reservations, the bullet drop compensator reticle looks like it will be useful. Nikon has a program called Spot On on their website where you dial in your caliber, ammo and site in distance and the progarm calculates the distances for each circle in the reticle. You then tattoo the specific information to the back of your hand.

As for binos, I have been very happy with a set of Bushnell Buckhorns in 10x42. At $120.00 at Cabela's, they have served me well for 6 years so far.
The Swarovskis just made me realize I should have been a doctor.

We really enjoy the Cape May State Park grounds and I will pay closer attention to the hawk information.

Thanks 46'er.