Snowy Owl

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Hello everyone! I haven't been on in quite some time. Nagging health issues have kept me a little down, but it's good to be back. Denise and I went to Forsythe Friday. I thought the road would collapse with all those cars and optics in one spot. The Snowy Owls were beautiful, though. Also saw the Bald Eagles, one mature and one of it's young. All in all a great day to be out.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
We were there yesterday. Speaking with the person on duty in the VC, she said they set an all time record for number of cars on Friday and expected to break it again Saturday. IMO, the refuge should post someone out there when the crowds build, just to keep things friendly and do some educating :D

bushwacker

Scout
May 18, 2009
port republic
EBF was the most crowded that I have ever seen it on saturday, I have been birding there for 38 years. Fortunately the owl that was present and visible while I was there was across the waterway and somewhat "protected" from the crowds. If you go try to resist the temptation to get too close, and allow the bird some space. Better yet, take advantage of this unprecedented irruption of snowy owls and go out and find one on your own. Birds are present up and down the coast. We found another one saturday on a limited access section of undeveloped barrier island. While we were much further away from the second bird. the looks, the setting, the solitude all made for a more rewarding experience. Do enjoy these visitors from the artic while they are here, but please do so at a respectful distance

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Both Owls we saw were on the other side of the waterway's, so people getting to close wasn't a problem. The "crowd" was also very polite. No birder fights. Tomorrow should be much more quiet, I'll be somewhere in Wharton.

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
153682790.jpg

I suspect that thing hovering behind the Eagle has been eating my neighbour's chickens. Magnificent shot, I might add. How appropriate our National symbol has been flocking (sorry!) to our area, a patriot stronghold of the American Revolution. Except for Tuckerton of course.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Great shots folks! I saw a bald eagle on Christmas morning in Allentown, NJ, and a pair a few weeks back in Hamilton. Nice to see them making a comeback.

How many snowy owls are now present at Forsythe?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
How many snowy owls are now present at Forsythe?

It depends on which division. At Oceanville, commonly called Brig, last coount had 3; at Holgate, last count was 10 with a lot of ignorant folks tramping the dunes behind the stay out signs.

For those interested, F&W, Endangered & Non-game species program, puts out an Eagle, Osprey and Peregrin Falcon status report each year,; the links below.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/eglrpt13.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/osprey13.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ensp/pdf/pefa13_report.pdf

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I glassed one in Forsythe last weekend for about 10 minutes. Beautiful bird.
They're going to have to install traffic signals on Wildlife Drive if these little fellers hang around much longer.

Reactions: noboat

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This years follow on iruption is almost as big as last year's. Fortunately folks are heading the phrase, 'Loose lips kill Snowies', and keeping locations quiet. But there are still some 'wannabefamous' jerks out there :rolleyes: That project is doing good work, but, unfortunately they can't determine from a necropsy the conditions a bird was subjected too.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Fortunately folks are heading the phrase, 'Loose lips kill Snowies', and keeping locations quiet.

I know exactly what you are referring to and unfortunately from what I have seen the usual suspects are active. Luckily, I know a few off the beaten path locations that so far have been good.